My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received a free 54" 4-way hydraulic dozer blade. Had to brag! lol. Its been sitting for quite some time, so the cylinder rods have some rust. I have heard that they clean up well with emery cloth, so thats what I have been doing. Some pitting, but cleaning up nice. Anyone had experience with this? Also the cutting edge is gone, and what looks like the piece that the cutting edge should bolt to is very worn. Ill probably cut that off, weld on a new one and then bolt on a new cutting edge. This brings me to a couple of questions, does anyone have some pictures of what they should look like? And does JD still sell new cutting edges or should I make my own? paint is not bad and the quick couplers work good. and the hydraulic hoses had covers on the ends which was nice. Hey, cant beat free!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Nice job with the free loot. They still sell the expensive cutting edge. Sounds like you are capable of making your own. Good luck

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i am excited to get it going. been wanting one for a while and sometimes they're not easy to come by!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I just received a free 54" 4-way hydraulic dozer blade. Had to brag! lol. Its been sitting for quite some time, so the cylinder rods have some rust. I have heard that they clean up well with emery cloth, so thats what I have been doing. Some pitting, but cleaning up nice. Anyone had experience with this? Also the cutting edge is gone, and what looks like the piece that the cutting edge should bolt to is very worn. Ill probably cut that off, weld on a new one and then bolt on a new cutting edge. This brings me to a couple of questions, does anyone have some pictures of what they should look like? And does JD still sell new cutting edges or should I make my own? paint is not bad and the quick couplers work good. and the hydraulic hoses had covers on the ends which was nice. Hey, cant beat free!
I can get you a pic tomorrow of one I recently acquired . I was told it's off a 300 series but dont know for sure , let me know if you want it .

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I can get you a pic tomorrow of one I recently acquired . I was told it's off a 300 series but dont know for sure , let me know if you want it .

Mike
I would love it!

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Here you go . I took these with my cell phone so theyre not the best , hope they help.
Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow! did you restore that? It loks VERY nice! also, is the cutting edge bolted on?

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
wow! did you restore that? It loks VERY nice! also, is the cutting edge bolted on?
I just recently bought it like that . I know it looks restored in the pic but the previous owner just taped over the JD decals and did a poor paint job . The blade edge is bolted on & fairly worn . Also some of the holes in the brackets were egg shaped so I did weld them up and re drilled them to the proper size . I will do a proper complete strip down & refinish probably next year sometime after I have used it and made sure that everything works the way I intend it to for this retrofit project .

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does anyone have a picture of one with the edge removed? I need to see what the piece that it bolts to looks like as that piece is what the original owner was using as the cutting edge on mine. Now I need to cut the welds and build a new one and weld it on, then build a new cutting edge. I also need the measurements of the cutting edge and the measurements of the piece it bolts to if someone doesnt mind?.... thanks to everyone for responding so far. -Nick

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my cylinders are fairly rusted. I will try to save them, but if anyone has any extra, even if they leak and they would like to sell them let me know.
-Nick

·
Registered
20 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of one with the edge removed? I need to see what the piece that it bolts to looks like as that piece is what the original owner was using as the cutting edge on mine. Now I need to cut the welds and build a new one and weld it on, then build a new cutting edge. I also need the measurements of the cutting edge and the measurements of the piece it bolts to if someone doesnt mind?.... thanks to everyone for responding so far. -Nick
I can give you pictures and cutting cutting edge measurements for a 42" plow.
The cutting edge mounts the same but I don't known about the measurements..:dunno:
Let me know, Devin
:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well some bad news, the PO had abused this pretty bad. Rather than replacing the worn cutting edge, he kept running it. The whole bottom of the blow, including the piece that the cutting edge bolts to, is completely worn off. Its going to take a lot of work to bring it back to original specs. since it was free, a little dough is worht putting into it I think. I have access to all of the tools and welders I need, and some decent fab skills (used to build trailers back in my high school days), so ill get going on it before to long hopefully. I plan to restore it back to the way it should be, so it'll take a lot of work with shaping and grinding to make it look original, but it can be done. Ill be posting pics as I go, but it'll be a slow process due to school.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just weld a new lower strip section on and redrill the pattern. If you can weld, piece of cake. Not 100% original but your cheapest, easiest, and probably best solution.

·
Super Moderator
33,779 Posts
Hard to believe someone wouldn't pick up a $25 - $30 part and wear out a $400 blade to get a bit more work from it!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Hard to believe someone wouldn't pick up a $25 - $30 part and wear out a $400 blade to get a bit more work from it!
I just picked up a truck tonight that came with a 7'-6" Fisher straight blade. It has NO cutting edge on it at all. They've been plowing with the trip mechanism.... :banghead3

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you still need a pic let me know. I just restored mine ad never put it back together yet
I would love as many pics and measurements as I can get! Goal is 100 percent original. I'm not one to alter stuff. It's very hard to believe someone would let this happen. Makes you wonder what kind of shape the rest of his stuff is in. Oh well, ill do to it what it deserves.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
The best way to go once you rebuild the metal edge structure is to install the rubber edge kit either Deere made or self made from a suitable rubber mat . That way if one keeps up with regular replacement there will never be any metal wear . I ve seen a few worn like yours due to lack of seasonal inspections and excessive use of down pressure , its not needed as much as people think . If you use the rubber it will clean very well and any remaining packed snow will melt off if the surface gets a little sun .

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
I would love as many pics and measurements as I can get! Goal is 100 percent original. I'm not one to alter stuff. It's very hard to believe someone would let this happen. Makes you wonder what kind of shape the rest of his stuff is in. Oh well, ill do to it what it deserves.
ok, mine is sitting in my parents living room along with my blower housing in front of the heater vent for the last 4 days so the paint can cure:thThumbsU

They are not happy!:crybaby:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts