My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up a free R8241AE today. Not in the best shape, but it was complete. I got the charger, the bag and hangers, the mulching plug and the discharge cover x2. The motor has good compression when I turn the crank.

The bad: one original wheel, paint is peeling from the bottom up, handlebar chrome is flaking off, but the white grip is in great shape. Shroud is dark but in okay shape, drive moves freely. I will post photos tomorrow morning.

I think I saw a thread about starting without the battery. Can anyone give me pointers on starting without the battery? Any help would be much appreciated!

How about wheels. Anyone have any extras?

Luckily there was a lot of greasy, dusty residue on the deck and motor which kept everything nice underneath! I'd almost rather have it covered in greasy dust than clean. Anyway, couldn't pass up a freebie!

Curiously, the serial number says it's a 1983 model. What is the difference between the F and F140AE motor?

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Congrats on a free lawn boy! If you put a flywheel cup on the flywheel, and a recoil and ring off a 10515, S21 or L21 model you will have a pull start model...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, here are the before photos. It's a dirty one. Enjoy the filth! Another forgotten Lawn-Boy saved from the trash dump.

Attachments

·
5K Poster!!!!
5,126 Posts
Hey you have a nice mower there! I wonder what happened to the left front wheel, got a little to close to a bonfire maybe? Wheels are pretty easy to find on ebay used, but in great shape. I would also do what IMA was talking about also and that is converting it into a pull start as an alternate to the electric start. You won't have to do any permanant modifications and if you want to convert back to original when you go to sell it then it would be easy enough to convert back to the original configuration.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
If you aren't concerned about keeping it "factory looking" you can get nice metal w/ball bearing wheels from J-Thomas pretty cheap. http://www.j-thomas.com/catalog/2010/121_lawnboy_21mower_parts.php

Also you can find plastic aftermarkets, that look pretty good, I have a set on a restored 8237. I've seen them on ebay.

Strange move on LB's part to build an electric start mower with no recoil back-up. Wonder if they had a surplus of batteries and wanted to be assured that all the stock was going to be used up... Build mowers that can't be started without the battery! haha.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I guess I should buy all four wheels. I was thinking of calling a plating shop to replate the bars. I will try to clean it up this weekend. I need to make room for it in the garage.

No recoil probably made this mower obsolete for the owner within a few years of purchase. Those older rechargeables didn't last long at all.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
Cool mower. Can't wait to see more pics of when its done! Thanks for sharing;)

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Yes, I guess I should buy all four wheels. I was thinking of calling a plating shop to replate the bars. I will try to clean it up this weekend. I need to make room for it in the garage.

No recoil probably made this mower obsolete for the owner within a few years of purchase. Those older rechargeables didn't last long at all.
The stock rear wheels for a Lawn Boy self propelled mower are '' soft '' tires, just be careful you don't get aftermarket ''hard'' ones.
Use your thumb, push into the fronts and rears, you will see the difference in resistance.

·
Lifetime Lawn Guy
1,426 Posts
The stock rear wheels for a Lawn Boy self propelled mower are '' soft '' tires, just be careful you don't get aftermarket ''hard'' ones.
Use your thumb, push into the fronts and rears, you will see the difference in resistance.
Well, there's something I did not know! I thought they just all got hard over time.

My restored 8237 drives great but it DOES slip (capstans against the wheel) with even a little moisture on the tire. I'll betcha that's the problem, hard rubber.

I will check and see how soft the J-Thomas tires are. I was thinking they felt pretty pliable. Have no idea how to guage that though?

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
Well, there's something I did not know! I thought they just all got hard over time.

My restored 8237 drives great but it DOES slip (capstans against the wheel) with even a little moisture on the tire. I'll betcha that's the problem, hard rubber.

I will check and see how soft the J-Thomas tires are. I was thinking they felt pretty pliable. Have no idea how to guage that though?
Try to use an OEM or front tire that you know came from Lawn Boy as a ''feeler'', there is a definate difference. You should be able to feel the difference with pressure in the middle of the wheel.
At least that is on the older models.
But an 8237 should have soft back tires.
I'm very lost on anything made after 1983 tho.
That's when I stopped repairing them.
P.S. my distributor says their steel wheels are for push or self propelled.
They have 2 different plastic tires, one for push, on for SP.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts