My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did they come out?A friend of mine has one,and he says it's at least 10 years old.I didn't think they made them back then.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yeah they have been around since the 90's they started out with the Briggs motor, then went to the tec. motors, my dad bought one new in 2000 with a tec. engine and then I went and got a new 10324 just didnt much care for his, but it is been a good running mower nothing like a two cycle...

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
There's a four stroke nearby me I was thinking of looking at. It's a 10516 5hp aluminum deck self propelled. Kinda looks like a 10547 handle and deck with a 4cycle B&S engine. I'm still not sure yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I had a SilverPro self-propelled Lawn-Boy with a Tecumseh engine on it. It's at my boss' rental property now. I mowed with it once, and that was enough. For the average Joe, it's probably fine, but it wasn't even in the same league as far as power and torque as a two-cycle Lawn-Boy engine...Even a V engine!

·
Registered
150 Posts
The only Lawn Boy I've ever had is a '94 4 stroke. Y'all are making me wish I had a 2 stroke tho.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Find a 10515 or 10525 if you want a nice 2-cycle machine. The F and DuraForce engines respectively are both powerhouses and run very nicely. I used to think that my DF was such a "bad boy" as far as power goes, till I mowed the same lawn with a 10545 (5 HP F engine w/ electric start) and it ripped thru it just as well, if not slightly better! Torquey as they are, the DF has a certain "flat spot" in its powerband...Work it too hard and the revs will drop off, and it stalls. The F will chug along at a much lower RPM under full load without faltering.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
I know I'm gonna get raked over the coals for this, but my first Lawnboy was a four square rear bagger Briggs powered engine from about 1987! It goes against the grain I know but that was actually a pretty good running old mower. I wish I would have kept it (for nostalgia only of course).

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
"Torquey as they are, the DF has a certain "flat spot" in its powerband...Work it too hard and the revs will drop off, and it stalls. The F will chug along at a much lower RPM under full load without faltering."

Very true from my experience. I use a 4hp F-engine to mow over at my sister's place, and when I mow the grass there it is always over a foot tall, and I mow weekly there. With the F-engine, it just steadily hums right through it with no problem. My duraforce revs like nobody's business, but when you put it to the thick stuff there is a noticeable decrease in speed and if you mow too thick of grass, it slows down pretty slow. I have a D-engine bricktop that runs the same as the F-engine, it runs at a slower RPM like the F-engine yet just sails through the thick stuff. Now don't get me wrong, I love my duraforce but a simple F or D-engine does the job and does it well.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with the port timing/design and the emissions-friendly lean-burn carbs on the DuraForce. If my DF seems like it's going to stall, sometimes a quick blip of the choke lever enriches it enough that it'll power thru without stalling. Sort of like an accelerator pump.
The M-series was also like this, but its being a piston ported engine, this kind of came as little surprise to me. They never seem to have the "grunt" of a reed valve engine at low RPM, high load situations. My M would fall on its face once the RPMs dropped below its "sweet spot". I stalled that mower more often than any other Lawn-Boy I'd ever owned prior.

From my experience, the D-600 seemed to have the best lugging power. They could putter along at what seemed like an insanely low RPM, and recover just fine. Sometimes they'd lug so slow I could almost count each firing pulse, but it was very rare that I ever stalled one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts