My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
just a few 990's ...
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings All,

I found this site as I was searching for mower deck spindles for a ******* MTD deck. I found several updated part numbers and some HUGE priced part numbers but alas, no longer in production. So, I've been looking for complete units for parts. I'm located in Northern Oakland County in Michigan.

On the Level, By the Square,

Dale:banghead3

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
:MTF_wel2: Glad to have another Michigan member.

What are you looking for your MTD ?

The reason I've asked is thats what I have and have found allot of resources on the net and here as well.

I hope the forum can help. RON

·
just a few 990's ...
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:MTF_wel2: Glad to have another Michigan member.

What are you looking for your MTD ?

The reason I've asked is thats what I have and have found allot of resources on the net and here as well.

I hope the forum can help. RON
I have a MTD 808 / Huskee with the 50" deck. The prices I've found for the replacement spindles, I can just buy another complete one used and have extra parts. My father in law rolled this and bent the spindles on the front axle too. It's got the Big Twin under the hood, runs great, just wished I could mow with it. It's a 2000 or 2001 year according to the paperwork.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I have a MTD 808 / Huskee with the 50" deck. The prices I've found for the replacement spindles, I can just buy another complete one used and have extra parts. My father in law rolled this and bent the spindles on the front axle too. It's got the Big Twin under the hood, runs great, just wished I could mow with it. It's a 2000 or 2001 year according to the paperwork.
Ok I'm a little lost do you need deck spindles and steering axles (aka steering spindles) ?

If you do then a Model and Serial # would help.

·
just a few 990's ...
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I'm a little lost do you need deck spindles and steering axles (aka steering spindles) ?

Yes and Yes.

If you do then a Model and Serial # would help.
Model 808. Outer spindles are 618-0269 and center is 618-0268A on the mower deck. I think I can heat the left steering spindle and get it back in place. I'm more concerned in getting something that mows !! I had a heart attack in March, I don't need another one pushing the 19" around. I did manage to get the speed on that adjusted correctly !!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Model 808. Outer spindles are 618-0269 and center is 618-0268A on the mower deck. I think I can heat the left steering spindle and get it back in place. I'm more concerned in getting something that mows !! I had a heart attack in March, I don't need another one pushing the 19" around. I did manage to get the speed on that adjusted correctly !!
Ok the deck spindle is pricey but i did find one online for less than $40 but I think this may be a typo ?

http://www.dnequipment.com/eMerchantPro/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=4650&idproduct=43782

http://www.mowpart.com/p180171/Spindle-Asm-W/Ftg/product_info.html

If I'm not mistaken you can rebuild the newer spindles like yours which would bring the cost down allot as long as the casting is ok.

I think the reason you are seeing no longer made is because they have revised the part number to cross three different brands Cub Cadet, MTD, and Huskee

Mine uses part number 717-0906a which is now 916-0906A that may be why you're having a problem.

I'm not sure if getting a different deck would help or not based on cost, if you find a used one it may have the same problems and you would be in the same boat as before and I'm sure a new deck would be astronomically priced.

So my suggestion would be rebuild the deck spindles you have if you can then you know its all good and will probably be cheaper to fix.

As far as the axles go you can try to straighten them and if it works great but if you cant they are still available thru MTD or a good outdoor power equipment store.

Btw The model you posted is just a general model number there are 3 variations of the 808 that I found (i.e. D, J, H, kinda like a car or truck F-150 XT, XLT, FX4 etc.) thats why I asked about the serial and model numbers.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Greetings All,

I found this site as I was searching for mower deck spindles for a ******* MTD deck. I found several updated part numbers and some HUGE priced part numbers but alas, no longer in production. So, I've been looking for complete units for parts. I'm located in Northern Oakland County in Michigan.

On the Level, By the Square,

Dale:banghead3
i had a damaged mower deck spindal shaft on my mtd 840. mtd had the whole spindal assembly for $85. i did some research and found the shaft and bearings from oregon for $27. i had to look up the whole spindal assy on oregons web site then look up the replacement shaft and bearings for their spindal housing. i had to email them and ask them if their replacement shaft and bearings for their spindall housing would fit in an mtd spindal housing and they said it would. i had to order the shaft and bearings from a local dealer. it fit my mtd spindal housing fine. saved me a ton of money

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/oep_products.htm

·
just a few 990's ...
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ranchkingron and Tpolley ...

Thanks for the websites and offerings. I wiped off the tags and here's what I have ...
2001 Huskee Model 808 (electric PTO) born 02/21/2001
model code 14AR807P131 Serial # 1C011H20158
engine model 445777 type 0122 E1 code 010105 YH B&S OHV 23 hp.

Using my parts manual, I have 618-0268a for the center, replaced by 918-0428a using the website provided. 618-0269 for the outers is now 918-0429. One outer housing completely destroyed, the other one very loose, everything fell apart when removed. The center one seems fine, but to be safe, replace all of them. If the bearings are loose in the housing, I'll just have to replace it all. I like the idea of replacing the shaft and bearings, much cheaper. Glad I found this website, I would have never known where else to turn to.

I am still considering the other MTD's I found, Farm Kings or 990 series MTD's. I want a real workhorse and we need a mower at the family compound in Prudenville. I located some large frame Case 444, 446, 448's around me also. So, I have options now, need to sell off some collectible firearms to get this project (s) funded. I've just gone back to work and I get my first paycheck on Friday. Lots of medical bills to catch up on. I'll be reading here often !!:thanku:

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
Welcome and 73 DE Lee KB1GNI!

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
i had a damaged mower deck spindal shaft on my mtd 840. mtd had the whole spindal assembly for $85. i did some research and found the shaft and bearings from oregon for $27. i had to look up the whole spindal assy on oregons web site then look up the replacement shaft and bearings for their spindal housing. i had to email them and ask them if their replacement shaft and bearings for their spindall housing would fit in an mtd spindal housing and they said it would. i had to order the shaft and bearings from a local dealer. it fit my mtd spindal housing fine. saved me a ton of money

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/oep_products.htm
Good deal, now thats what I'm talking about. :fing32:

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Ranchkingron and Tpolley ...

Thanks for the websites and offerings. I wiped off the tags and here's what I have ...
2001 Huskee Model 808 (electric PTO) born 02/21/2001
model code 14AR807P131 Serial # 1C011H20158
engine model 445777 type 0122 E1 code 010105 YH B&S OHV 23 hp.

Using my parts manual, I have 618-0268a for the center, replaced by 918-0428a using the website provided. 618-0269 for the outers is now 918-0429. One outer housing completely destroyed, the other one very loose, everything fell apart when removed. The center one seems fine, but to be safe, replace all of them. If the bearings are loose in the housing, I'll just have to replace it all. I like the idea of replacing the shaft and bearings, much cheaper. Glad I found this website, I would have never known where else to turn to.

I am still considering the other MTD's I found, Farm Kings or 990 series MTD's. I want a real workhorse and we need a mower at the family compound in Prudenville. I located some large frame Case 444, 446, 448's around me also. So, I have options now, need to sell off some collectible firearms to get this project (s) funded. I've just gone back to work and I get my first paycheck on Friday. Lots of medical bills to catch up on. I'll be reading here often !!:thanku:
You're more than welcome Sir and If you need Info on the other tractors you listed the members here are terrific and full of great advise not to mention just good people, welcome and keep us us to date on what you decide.

Ron

1 - 12 of 12 Posts