My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seller says runs good. Wants a pretty penny for it . You Lawnboy guys know the model? And a fair price ............ I think i might add it to my fleet.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Few things I'm wondering ... Original shroud ? Cant find any like it on here . Also could I put ball bearing wheels on it or does that propel set up take a special type of wheel

·
5,866 Posts
Hi! Can't tell for sure on the model but they changed to 5.0 HP in 1996. Prior to that they were rated at 4.5 HP. My guess would be late 80's. As far as the wheels go the capstan drive Lawnboys use a different rear wheel on the rear than the push mowers. The rear self propelled wheels have a softer rubber compound to grip the capstan rollers. Bill

·
Lawn-Boy fan
1,566 Posts
That's a late 80's model, MAYBE early 90's. Was an electric start only mower, looks like the owner added a new style recoil to the top. Originally that would have just had the Lawn-Boy ring, and flywheel screen.

How much is a pretty penny? Try it out before you buy it, make sure you like that self propel system. I've got nothing against capstan self propel drive, but when they were that and you have to hold the bail, the mower got a bit more clumsy to use.

My .02

·
Registered
395 Posts
Looks very similar to the 8243ae. I previously had one and I had also put a recoil top on it since the battery was no good. I wasn't a huge fan of the capstan drive system when comparing it to the 3-speed on the 10515.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think asking price is too high myself . $200. I was thinking more around 125 if it runs beautifully.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Yep, its an older F engine with a newer style recoil on the top. I did this to one of mine I had as well. The capstan drive isn't the best, but you can just lock the handle and just push it as they are very light.

The price, that is up to you, but for me $200 for that mower without a bag way to high but that is my opinion. The mower does however look to be in great shape.

·
5,866 Posts
Hi! Agree with all the above. If you are buying a used Lawnboy the chute, bag, and rod can be quite an expensive addition if you are going to need them. Also keep in mind if the rear wheels are original or old they may need to be replaced for the capstan to work properly. I don't think adding the recoil to the top is a detriment as it should have been on the mower originally for those times when the battery doesn't work. A good, clean F engine mower of that age should bring $100.00 to $125.00. Good luck. Bill

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Must be already sold . No response . The going rate for a aluminum deck 2 cycle in my area is 150-250. Not very often does one that nice looking pop up for sale. I got lucky on my two , a guy I worked with got tired of working on them and sold me both for 50$ , went and bought himself a new Toro Briggs . I had to put one in another shop ( I couldn't get it going ) . He put a used carb on it and its ran fine since (Duraforce)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts