My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a Lawn Boy edger on the curb last week. I’ve been wanting an edger and this will fit the bill nicely. Most of the information I’ve found so far has been on this site. Thank you. I’m not looking to restore (not yet anyway). Just looking to use it a few times a year at home. I have no idea how long this has been sitting.

engine model D462 serial 6034306. Can’t find any other model or serial numbers. Is it a model 1015? Year?

I shot some starting fluid in the carb and it popped right off and ran for a few seconds.

I’m not familiar with these old lawn boys. What should I do to get it back in service? Clean the carb or rebuild? New plug and air filter? Anything else? Are there parts available? Is there a manual available to download?
1A06D314-D6B4-4E04-9948-97B1280B11D2.jpeg
38EE196E-4881-4567-8BC8-5721A71A1F9E.jpeg
D8EC13A3-88A8-466A-9081-794796F0AF40.jpeg

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,940 Posts
A nice find! No need to restore that one, it’s really in too good of shape to restore in my opinion.

Yes it is a model 1015, produced from 1970 to 1974. I would just replace the air filter, spark plug and clean the carb and tank real good. If it has the original float you can probably count on replacing it. After 50 years the cork floats with the shellac coating tends to turn black and flake off and clog the carb. There might be a way to restore the float, but I’ve just always taken the easy route and replaced it.

Other than that you probably will be just fine. Some of those parts, if needed, might be hard to find, such as lower oil seal, blades, belts. I would not advise you to use an automotive type belt, get you the correct OPE belt if you can find one. The typical automotive V belt tends to jump off the pulley for some reason. I think I went through 5 or 6 brands before I gave up and went with the more correct OPE Oregon brand belt and all is well now.

One other thing that these D-400s tend to need when they are 50 years old is a new primer kit. If you start it and can’t adjust the carb to go leaner and it continues to run way rich then more than likely the primer seal has failed and is allowing extra fuel to enter the carb Venturi through the primer circuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
5,512 Posts
Great find! Rex beat me to all the good information on the edger. I have a couple of the 1015's. One is semi refurbished and is in use and the other is totally done and in storage. I had the same issue with the belt jumping off but was fortunate to have 2 of the original Lawnboy edger belts so each edger has one. I would keep and eye on the guard for the blade however. I was using mine and from vibration the three angle brackets that attach the guard to the clamp broke and the guard fell off. Had the angle brackets rewelded and then they fully welded the guard to the clamp. Just don't let it get started cracking because it will fail quickly. If I had to do it over again and had known about this I would have taken the guard to the welding shop and had it reinforced before it broke.
I don't use mine a lot but it is fun to use. I have also been able to do curbs with it as well. You raise the setting way up and kind of balance the edger on two wheels, one on the curb and the other on the street. Takes a little practice but works well. Never a good idea to edge when the ground is wet. Makes quite a mess.
The filters for those are unique but I have still found them on eBay. Here is a link.

I bought from this seller in 2011 and 2016. Back then they accepted my offer of $4.00 each so worth a shot. If you need an owners manual for it, look in the Lawnboy section of the reference library. I scanned mine in a while back and sent it to share. Bill

Reactions: Brent72

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a bunch. More good information. I found and printed the owners manual.

Any consensus on mix ratio and oil type? Can it be run leaner than 16:1 with modern oils? I have a bottle of 2-stroke Amsoil that claims it can be run in 50:1 engines at 100:1.

·
5,512 Posts
The 1015 edger is a two ring piston. Should be able to run this at 32:1. I run mine with Lawnboy oil at 32:1 as I do all my Lawnboys. Every thread where someone asks about mix ratios and types of oil always goes way off track so lets make sure this stays about the edger and not gas/oil ratios. Any name brand quality 2 stroke oil should suffice. If you choose to experiment with ratios other than what the factory recommends then that is your choice. I have read that Amsoil makes a lot of these claims about running machines at 100:1. I, for one, will stick with what has worked for me for over 35 years. Your edger should not get so many hours of use as to need port cleaning on a regular basis. I would guess using mine 3 or 4 times a season I would not put on over 4 hours of run time. Compare that to the average mower used at least weekly for 1/2 to 1 hour a week. Looking forward to hearing how you like using it. Bill

Reactions: Brent72

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
YOU ARE LIVIN' RIGHT! I've gotten several LB'S off the curb, but have never seen an edger there. You must live in a better neighborhood! Enjoy!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the carb off and did a rough clean. Los of oil and sticky goo in the bowl. Carb cleaner seemed to pucker the primer o-ring so I’ll need to replace that. The float actually looked pretty good. Normal color and no flaking I could see. I need to decide how much I’m going to replace.

Behind the reed plate I found a mixture of grass and oil. Must have been run without the filter I guess. Need to get all that cleaned out. Hopefully didn’t do any damage.
A97F1B77-7901-4E47-A556-3BF38038CA0D.jpeg

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After cleaning everything up on the frame and outside of the engine and in the gas tank I cleaned the carb. I decided not to replace any parts. I just put everything back together. I put some fresh gas in and she fired right up. I let it run for a few minutes and shut it off. There was a little bit of smoke coming off the engine. On the lower end of the crankcase I saw some black spatters of oil. I’m assuming that means the lower oil seal is leaking. Any harm in running it that way to test it out? I know I need an air filter first. It’s pretty nasty. Probably need a new belt too. Seemed to be some vibration in the cutter head that I think is coming from the deformed belt. Blade is about 7” are they 9” new?

Here it is:
4B32BF5E-FB50-4573-AE57-293FE3491103.jpeg
0B6DF563-3E34-4B80-94EF-F3DF32B969BE.jpeg

·
5,512 Posts
Yes those blades are 9 inch when new. I have run them down to about 7 inches before replacing. Shouldn't need to balance a blade that small as they kind of get worn evenly from use however wouldn't hut to check it. I have had Lawnboys in the past that the lower seal leaked a little and sprayed oil spatter onto the deck and they ran okay. Probably won't hurt to test it that way for the short term and then replace the seal. Seal part number is the same as for the mowers, part number 611396, readily available. Bill

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,940 Posts
Glad you got it running, and what a bonus that you didn't need any parts, other than maybe a lower crank seal. I had forgotten about the lower oil seal on the 1015 being the common D series seal, my 1013 has an oddball size seal on the lower end that has been discontinued. I ended up needing one to and bought one off ebay that was probably too old to install, but I had to take my chances...so far so good, no drips, or leaks.

The vibration is probably the belt, it looks like it's not really the correct one for the application. The auto V belts I tried would do the same thing, they would vibrate real bad even if I could get them to stay on. The only way I could use them was to start them with the blade horizontal and then once started move to the vertical position. Like Bill mentioned, it's not likely to be the blade that is causing the vibes because it's so small. I suppose you could check the blade shaft bearings for runout, but I doubt that would have enough run time to wear out.

·
5,512 Posts
Actually that looks like the original belt. May even be some numbers on it if you look close. Here are a couple of pictures showing the original belt and part number. Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a crankshaft seal and blade on order and an offer in on an air filter.
I didn’t see a part number on the belt when I had it off. It held the figure 8 shape and I was thinking those tight radiuses could be causing the vibration. New blade might help too.
I’m getting excited to use it. I have sidewalk and curb that needs some cleaning up.
Now the trouble is I feel like it needs a matching mower. Not sure how I can justify that one to my wife.
Thanks again for all the help.

·
5,512 Posts
This is what you need to go with that edger. Bill

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks a bunch. More good information. I found and printed the owners manual.

Any consensus on mix ratio and oil type? Can it be run leaner than 16:1 with modern oils? I have a bottle of 2-stroke Amsoil that claims it can be run in 50:1 engines at 100:1.
  • There's no consensus on mix ratios or oil types, however with modern two cycle oil 50:1 is the way to go.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 42 Posts