My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, need some opinions here, have located a JD 304 about 2.5 hours from me , that has been sitting on dealer lot for 2 years, traded in on another unit. Only has 115 hours on it, and they said they will deal. They want to get rid of it. What am I missing , what should I ask, they said the cover is fading due to sunlight. but otherwise runs well.

Give me your opinions on this, I think I can pick up for less than 2k.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ask if it has the K46 or K58 transaxle. I think the started off using the K58 in 2006 then downsized to k46 following year. If it has the K58 then that would be a bonus. Many people upgrade from the x300 and x304 just for the stronger transaxle (K58).

I have seen several x300s for sale in Northern Indiana for the $1700 - 2K range with similiar hours but of course the x304 is the AWS and goes for more new.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
to me it is too much, especially when you figure in drive time. a NEW one with 4 years of warranty 3600.00. if that one has been there for 2 years, it is old enough it only had a 2-3 year warranty and that will soon be up if it ain't already. you can get a MUCH more capable machine than that for a similar price if you really look! if they would come down to 1500 or so i might would bite.

think about it, it has been there for 2 years for a reason!

·
Registered
812 Posts
I too would be a bit curious as to why it has been there 2 years. Hard to believe a $3600.00 machine is selling, if it sells, for the 2k range with those few hours. I, however, think it is worth 2k if nothing is wrong with it or no signs of abuse AND it has the k58 transaxle in it. I don't see any reason why a dealer would have had a machine that long unless he just had the price jacked up and just came to his senses. I have had things for sale asking way too much and when I just got sick of seeing it in my garage, drastically dropped the price. That doesn't mean something is wrong with it though.

As far as finding much more in that price range: what do you plan on doing with it? Do you really need more? The only thing I can think of that qualifies as much more would be a garden tractor and around here, you won't find many in the 2K range that isn't at least 5 years old with many many more hours on it. I do see alot of solid looking GTs from the early to mid 90s that I wish I had gotten my hands on instead of buying new but your talking about a 10 - 15 year old tractor then. If I was more mechanically inclined then that is the route I would have taken. Check out Simplicites too. Alot there for your money and not as pricey as the used JD GTs. Green paint does cost more for whatever reason.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Honestly, if you are going to go used, spend 2grand on something close to end of warranty, and are willing to drive 2 hours. You might want to consider an older beefier machine. I would have bought something with hydraulics instead of my new x500 but I couldn't find anything closer than 5 hours away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts