My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this small tube, about 6" long and 3/4" outside diameter. It is made of a metal that has not oxidized. It has a screw on top that has oxidized green like copper so perhaps brass. The top/lid has a dimple in the center as though it might center something inside. I cleaned it up and gave the top a good soak in WD-40, and I suppose I'll attempt to open it unless one of you recognize it as a canister of some component of a WMD. It's hardly big enough for anything I can think of that might have been used for a shooting sport.

Anyway, I'll let this here for a day or so before attempting to open it. If you don't hear from me again, you should suspect it was not safe.

Thanks for any hints

Attachments

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

Attachments

·
Senior Moment
3,215 Posts
Looks like a pipe bomb... I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
Kinda small for a PB. Not much room for boom-stuff and bits of shrapnel. And you don't generally don't want to solder it with the boom-stuff inside, so they would normally have screw-on caps.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You still alive, Jere? :D
Still kicking - didn't attempt to open it yet

Kinda small for a PB. Not much room for boom-stuff and bits of shrapnel. And you don't generally don't want to solder it with the boom-stuff inside, so they would normally have screw-on caps.
Would be very small for a pipe bomb, and since it has likely been there in the woods for over 30 years, not likely anyone was building pipe bombs in this area that long ago, let alone miniturizing them. I see no evidence of solder. The bottom (at least from my perspective) appears a continuous part of the side walls of the tube. As though it was extruded, or perhaps it was drilled out of a solid piece of metal.

I see no markings at all. Maybe I should apply some wire wheel to the cap for another clue.

·
Military Member
58 Posts
I would recommend taking it to the local sherfiff's department and let their EOD guys look at it. I've seen all kinds of ordnance over the years and I've not seen anything like that, but that doesn't mean it still doesn't have explosive material in it. As mentioned before, seismic charge, maybe an old style blasting cap, maybe a home made blasting cap, detonator, etc.

If you are determined to open it yourself, make sure you are grounded and you ground the case of the device to prevent static charge build-up. Just in case.

IMO, the EOD guys are your safest bet. Most likely it is harmless, but why take the chance?

·
Registered
727 Posts
Put a welding helmet and welding gloves on and open it up with Chanel locks use towel in so jaws don't Mar it.. I wouldn't use a cutoff wheel.

It might be for sealing written messages for delivery during civil war

Try not to damage it; with relecs condition is everything.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks folks. And thanks to the Reddit "Whatisthis" threads who identified it as the Central Carbon rod from a very old Zinc Carbon battery. It is not a cylinder, it is not technically a tube, and the brass end is the terminal, not a cap or lid at all.

So, good news for me, I will not explode, nor unleash some WMD. I guess it might be less good news for folks getting tired of my posts.

And, in answer to some of your comments. I do live in SE PA where there was some civil war battles. I did find civil war era bullets in the farm fields of my youth. This thing is not nearly that old. Not a seismic charge sensor nor sona bouy, nor explosive.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
499 Posts
As a kid, we used to use the carbon rods from D cell batteries to "cut" steel with the arc welder.
I've never seen one (or battery) that large.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,711 Posts
It might be a carbon rod from one of these old "B" batteries used in ancient radios,I recall using one of these as a kid to light off model rockets,and after it was dead,we tried cutting it apart and it had a thing inside like your photo ,looked kind of like a road flare,with the screw terminal made into it..

Attachments

·
Registered
383 Posts
I think if you opened that thing up, you would find a flash drive with the long lost floor plans for that house they are trying to build up there. If you get the plans back to them, maybe they can finish it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts