My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to take the hood apart on the X500 to clean it and when I took the grill off I discovered the JD no longers screw the hinges through the grill area along with the hood plastic. They no just screw it right into the hood plastic. I can see why it saves them a few pennies but the result is that the hinges are only as strong as the sides of the hood plastic. We all know what a joke that is. It looks like to save a few pennies on assembly time, they sacrifice the integrity of the entire hood. If one side of the hood cracks where the hinge is screwed into it, the entire hood has to be replaced. This might be a certain year issue because I haven't taken one apart before. Is there anyone here who knows a JD person to ask why they do these things? Can they really pinch pennies that much?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
JD has used three different hood/hinge configurations on the X500. What model and serial of X500 do you have?

What other model are you comparing it to as being different?

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm comparing it with all of the models that I have worked on. There was only one older model that I ran across that had a bolt that went through the sides os the hood itself and they were broken of course. I have never seen that type again. It did not come off like the newer ones where you just lift them out of the hinges. The last X520 that I dealt with the hinges were part of the grill and the hood. It gave a much stouter base for the hinges to bolt to. All of the GX and GT models that I have had bolted through the grill mounts. I was just wondering if they had cut back on all models or just this year. I'll check the serial # and find the year of production.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I looked back through the various parts lists and pulled up some examples. They all seem to have the hinges bolted only to the plastic hood or grill. Even the newer X700-series hinge looks like it's just bolted to the plastic.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like the 500 and the 520 are bolted to the hood and the 570 and the GX are bolted to the grill and hood. I was surprised when I found out how the hood was bolted to the hinges with no extra support or backing. I just checked my X390, it's a 2017 model, and it is supported through the grill and hood. It is the premium model for the X300 series but I wouldn't have thought that a hinge would be such a big deal from one model to another. It is the same enigma as the GX255, GX335, GX345, and the GX355 all being made in the same time period. Why? It is obvious why the 355 was made because it is diesel but the rest are so similar that one model with and without a few items are the same.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It looks like the 500 and the 520 are bolted to the hood and the 570 and the GX are bolted to the grill and hood. I was surprised when I found out how the hood was bolted to the hinges with no extra support or backing. I just checked my X390, it's a 2017 model, and it is supported through the grill and hood. It is the premium model for the X300 series but I wouldn't have thought that a hinge would be such a big deal from one model to another. It is the same enigma as the GX255, GX335, GX345, and the GX355 all being made in the same time period. Why? It is obvious why the 355 was made because it is diesel but the rest are so similar that one model with and without a few items are the same.
The model number makes no difference. There's no such thing as a premium model. The base X330 is the same as the X590. All the X300 and X500 models share the same hood. The only thing that is different is they used to use a one-piece hood and starting around 2013 (to present) they started using a 3-piece hood. The 3-piece hood needs additional supports where the hinge attaches because the bracket also serves to keep all the pieces together.

I really don't see the hinge design with either style hood as being a problem. I've seen a lot of used X300 and X500 with busted and cracked hoods from the owners running into things but despite all that abuse I've never seen an issue related to the hood hinges. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, since you are on the subject of hoods. I posted this in a thread, but a quick refresher. I was mowing between my brand new F150 and a phone pole. There is a slight slope between the two. The uphill tire started spinning, so I stepped on the trac loc button, and faster than I could react, the tractor jumped forward and plowed into the bumper on my new truck. The wheels were turned to the right, so when it shot forward, kind of snow plowing, not turning, it caught me off guard. I've parked in this exact spot for 3 years, using my 265, then the Snapper Pro 52" walk behind, and the X540. I usually only use the X540 on my own yard, but that day the walk behind was in the shop.

Anyway, I've seen the hoods on ebay that say they fit the X300 and X500 series for $370-$425 dollars. They say they are a certified dealer and are OEM parts. My local dealer wants almost $800. I assume the difference in price is my dealer is the complete hood and the ebay is just the skin. All/most of my internal duct work is fine. All I need is the skin and the brackets that got bent. Can I just buy the ebay hood and put all of my stuff in it and be good to go. In the one front on pic you can see some of the sheet metal is pushed back, guess I'll have ti straighten that too. Are there serial number ranges that I have to look for? I didn't see my serial number plate. If it's on the rear, the mount for the Cyclone bagger may be covering it.I found the receipt from when my friend bought it, 6/12/09. He paid $9434 for the tractor, 48" deck and 47" snow blower. Will those hood fit my tractor, thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Well, since you are on the subject of hoods. I posted this in a thread, but a quick refresher. I was mowing between my brand new F150 and a phone pole. There is a slight slope between the two. The uphill tire started spinning, so I stepped on the trac loc button, and faster than I could react, the tractor jumped forward and plowed into the bumper on my new truck. The wheels were turned to the right, so when it shot forward, kind of snow plowing, not turning, it caught me off guard. I've parked in this exact spot for 3 years, using my 265, then the Snapper Pro 52" walk behind, and the X540. I usually only use the X540 on my own yard, but that day the walk behind was in the shop.

Anyway, I've seen the hoods on ebay that say they fit the X300 and X500 series for $370-$425 dollars. They say they are a certified dealer and are OEM parts. My local dealer wants almost $800. I assume the difference in price is my dealer is the complete hood and the ebay is just the skin. All/most of my internal duct work is fine. All I need is the skin and the brackets that got bent. Can I just buy the ebay hood and put all of my stuff in it and be good to go. In the one front on pic you can see some of the sheet metal is pushed back, guess I'll have ti straighten that too. Are there serial number ranges that I have to look for? I didn't see my serial number plate. If it's on the rear, the mount for the Cyclone bagger may be covering it.I found the receipt from when my friend bought it, 6/12/09. He paid $9434 for the tractor, 48" deck and 47" snow blower. Will those hood fit my tractor, thanks, Joe.
Ouch! That's unfortunate. As you can see in the parts illustration below, all the various hood components are sold separately The main hood section (#3) sells for $371 and the grill is $141. If your local dealer is charging $800 he is either over charging or has included a bunch of extra parts.

I don't see any serial numbers mentioned in JD Parts for the hood on the X540. It was discontinued before the 3-piece hoods started so it only ever had the one piece hood. Oddly the only hood-related part with a serial number break is the screws that hold on the hinges (#6). They changed part number from S/N 090001- and above. There are (10) of these screws used in the hood area.

You can check all the part numbers of JD Parts. As long as the folks on Ebay are selling the genuine JD part you should be ok. The hood is a large fragile plastic piece so it will need to packed well to arrive in one piece.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks. I figured the reason my dealer was so expensive, is their hood had all of the duct work for the radiator. If I can get the pieces separate from them, I'll do that. They are a very nice 3rd generation business. They put glow plugs in my JD 2010 40 years ago. Thanks again, Joe.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have bought just the hood shell many times from eBay and they work out well. It looks like you will need a new hinge support too as well as the grill. Search on eBay and sometimes you can get a nice used item for a lot less money. Be careful screwing in the old screws into the new hood. It is easy to over tighten them and you can crack the little pocket that the screw fits into. If you normally use your drill as a screwdriver make sure you do not run it in with a lot of force. As to the term "Premium Model", What does the GX3435 mean compared to the 345? Why would JD give different numbers to the same lineup? Is an X540 premium over an X530? If not why the different prices? Is the diesel/liquid-cooled model premium over the air-cooled model? That is just the way I see them. One is a base model and the other is loaded with extras. JD never uses the term "Premium" but your bill will tell you.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
As I mentioned in a previous post, the screws used to secure the X540 hood changed for S/N 090001 and above. According to JD Parts here is the difference:

S/N -090000
GX24487

Description: Screw - SCREW, SELF TPG, HEX WASHER HD
Specification
Weight: 0.02 LBS 0.01 Kg
Thread Diameter6.300 MM
Length22.200 MM
Thread and Point TypeHILOT
Drive Type
Head Size10.000 MM
Head Height6.130 MM
Size Number1/4
Material or GradeSTEEL
FinishS

S/N 090001-
GX24488

Description: Screw - SCREW, SELF TPG, HEX WASHER HD
Specification
Weight: 0.00 LBS 0.00 Kg
Thread Diameter6.300 MM
Length19.000 MM
Thread and Point TypeHILOT
Drive Type
Head Size10.000 MM
Head Height6.130 MM
Size Number1/4
Material or GradeSTEEL
FinishS

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Careful making any assumption that you can use either. Most likely the hole in the plastic is deeper on the newer models, thus allowing use of a longer screw. The reason for making the change is likely too many screws were stripping out or plastic was fracturing during warranty. Hence a more robust solution. Cost savings to JD comes in one of several ways - warranty $, part cost $ savings, installation time saving $. Any and all could contribute to the change.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ouch! That's unfortunate. As you can see in the parts illustration below, all the various hood components are sold separately The main hood section (#3) sells for $371 and the grill is $141. If your local dealer is charging $800 he is either over charging or has included a bunch of extra parts.

I don't see any serial numbers mentioned in JD Parts for the hood on the X540. It was discontinued before the 3-piece hoods started so it only ever had the one piece hood. Oddly the only hood-related part with a serial number break is the screws that hold on the hinges (#6). They changed part number from S/N 090001- and above. There are (10) of these screws used in the hood area.

You can check all the part numbers of JD Parts. As long as the folks on Ebay are selling the genuine JD part you should be ok. The hood is a large fragile plastic piece so it will need to packed well to arrive in one piece.

View attachment 2458848
Thanks, I called my dealer, he quoted me the same prices you listed within a penny or so. I had him add the two pieces for the hinge. I think they are part #18 and #23. Added about $30. Beats trying to hammer them straight, Joe.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts

I see the serial # sticker in your pic X540 right front side ( yours on frame below dealer decal )

·
Registered
119 Posts
I see the serial # sticker in your pic X540 right front side ( yours on frame below dealer decal )
Dang, from 20 feet away I could see part of it. Got closer and my titanium knees wouldn't bend enough to see it. Held the camera down there and got a pic. I found the original receipt and it's on there too. Now I know the one on the paper work matches the machine. Thanks, Joe.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Just a thought if you want to make the new one stronger. You could take a fiberglass repair kit, Cut a piece of fiberglass material several inches square, cut an X where the boss will go through, apply the resin around the plastic boss and up the boss, install the fiberglass material, apply resin over the fiberglass and work it in with a small brush. I repaired a hood this way and it’s holding well. I’m not a body repairman so I didn’t worry about it being super smooth, but the hood should last the rest of the life of the tractor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts