My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone here in my lurking and reading mentioned the old WH 312-XX models as being good used lawn tractors.

Today I found a 312-8 by the side of the road. No body home, but left a message on the guy's telephone machine.

ENGINE INFO:

12HP Kohler, 1 cyl
Engine Model: 301S
Spec Number: 47812
Serial # 14169760

Air filter was clean and engine looked good. Oil was fresh. Seat perfect.
Could not run or mow with her and I'm not sure what width the deck was (maybe 36-38"??). Did not know where to look for tractor serial and do not know year.

Sign says $625 OBO

I need help on what specifically to be looking for in a close look at this tractor.

Also, what would be a decent offer to make if it is running well, not blowing smoke, cuts good, etc.??

All help is greatly appreciated!! :thanku:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The 47812 spec number was only used on the 1985 312-8 model number 21-12K801. It has a 3 amp rectified but unregulated charging system to charge the battery and run the ignition and a 2nd stator that supplies AC current to power the lights only. Neither are a problem but they are just different than other year models.

Garry

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 47812 spec number was only used on the 1985 312-8 model number 21-12K801. It has a 3 amp rectified but unregulated charging system to charge the battery and run the ignition and a 2nd stator that supplies AC current to power the lights only. Neither are a problem but they are just different than other year models.

Garry
Thanks Garry.
Do you have any idea what a fair price would be? I spoke by phone with the seller and he says it runs like a champ and mows likewise.

His son did some repaint of the hoods, etc. Not sure if it is the original color, but all decals/painted Wheel Horse name and 312-8 are original it appears.

I'll be looking and mowing with it on Saturday morning. If it is as good a runner and mower as he says, is the $625 too much or fair? Anything problematic that I should be looking out for?

Jeff

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Make sure all the gears work. Go back and forth in each gear....hi and low.
Look for oil around the motor and tranny leaks.
I have one. Got it for $350 with rebuilt motor and snow plow.
$650 sounds a bit high. "personally" it is not a favorite of mine for stylish looks.
It also does not have a height adjustment knob for the lift like other models had.
Look and see how many hours on the meter (if it is working).
If it were running great, no smoke.....no mechanical issues...body in reasonable
condition.....with a 36" deck? I would give no more than $450. And I would
have to be in love with it....lol
You will have to make up your own mind on how bad you want it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
$650 is out of my range of what I'd pay. It would have to be in great shape for me to pay $450. If it's a hydro and has the matching deck $450 wouldn't be so bad I suppose. I'm cheap and only paid $125 for mine and it came with a rototiller. Mine looks bad with all the surface rust but runs great so I don't care.
Check for dry rot/cracked tires
check wiring to see if it's been hacked up or safety switches bypassed
drive it in every gear to see that none slip out of gear

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Im like da BEAR a little high make a offer of 400.00-450.00 and walk away if he starts saying I need this and that.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im like da BEAR a little high make a offer of 400.00-450.00 and walk away if he starts saying I need this and that.

I paid $300 for my 1988 Wheel Horse 312-8 with 37" SD mower deck no rear bagger only the mounting bracket and 48" snow / dozer blade never used stored in some shed when not in use the tractor runs good 12 HP MAGNUM Kohler engine .

Attachments

·
16,804 Posts
You got sveral good opinions already--original price is too high--IMHO..those 300 series are pretty available --at least around here...

P.S.--Just noticed on local C/L--one with a deck and a pull behind trailer for $450--so that gives you any idea on prices..

glenn

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check under the foot rests for rust. That seems to be a problem area on the 3xx series tractors. Also check the side covers where they meet the foot rests.

And I agree with others who find the price a bit high. It may be OK if you really want it, but I don't see it as a bargain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Sounds high to me. I'm in SW FL, and don't see many WH's for sale.
I bought my 414-8 with a Wheel Horse trailer, both in very clean shape, for $500. It has a 42" rd deck.
It's still better than a new $1300, MTD pos, at 1/2 the price!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I bought a 312-8 about 4 years ago with wheel weights, snowblower and a 42 inch deck side discharge deck. The seat also has armrests. I paid 800.00 for it, it's also clean. I have no regrets.

I also bought a 417-A with 300 hours on it, so the clock says, pretty rough looking. This tractor also has the hydraulic lift and a 48 inch side discharge deck. It runs good with no smoke and wire jumpers where fuses should be. I found this one for 375.00.

I would offer what ever you feel comfortable with. Make sure you check out the deck good. Some times they will crack around the spindles, also make sure it's somewhat quite.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I gave 375.00 for this a few years ago. It came with deck, snow blade, tire chains, and all the books, it is also a 1985.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts