My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Lawn-Mower-Lawn-Boy-RPM-Craftsman-Model_W0QQitemZ140323446452QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20abeddeb4&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50

I'm not going to buy it, but it sure brought back memories. That was the very first mower I ever worked on. My grandmother gave it to me when I was about 10 or 11, and after a good carb cleaning and a new plug, it ran well. I was never able to find a muffler for it, even though now looking back, it probably wouldn't have been too difficult.
That machine has a 2 HP Power Products engine on it with a PTO-mounted governor, and a Tillotson float style carburetor. That particular carb was odd in that the float looked like a little hockey puck, but stood vertically in a tall, narrow float bowl.
When I got it, it still had the original (or at least very vintage) Champion J17J plug which hasn't existed in decades. I replaced it with the recommended J17LM and it ran fine. It always had a little surge under no load that I never did solve, but some more years of experience taught me that it was probably a too-lean idle circuit. I had no book on this engine or carb, so I went in like a blind watchmaker to get it going.
It mowed surprisingly well, and I used it quite a bit at my parents' cabin. There was about 4 acres of grass to mow, and it kept me busy while my mom and dad went to flea markets, etc. that would have bored me to death.

That one listed is quite rough compared to mine. I had the original aluminum blower housing still intact and there was very litle wear and tear on it. It never started well for my grandpa, so he pushed it aside in the barn and bought another mower with a Briggs engine that I also inherited later on.

Just a little trip down memory lane for me is all.

·
Old engine addict
292 Posts
Those old Power Products engines were awesome I had a couple horizontal shaft PP engines that I just sold not too long ago.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts