My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found another local but. Simplicity 3314 h for $150. I don't think I can go wrong but I don't know that much. Says it ran but he messed with carb and can't get it to run and has no mower deck. I need a mower deck but still think its a deal at $150??? Sorry for so many posts but can't find much info through searching for the tractors I'm findin lol

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Hmmm...$150 may not be bad, but the unknown of it being a non-runner could cost you more than you expect. Tell him $100, and feel good about the deal. The Vickers tranny is my favorite, but can be a leaky beast. Do you know if it has electric lift? That Briggs 14 is a great engine, and mower decks are very commonly found.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went and look at it and its a little rough around the edges but no bad leaks anywhere. Tractor hasn't ran in over a year but owner says everything worked properly last time he had it goin. He also had a nice allis charmers 410 but engine is blown. Has a motor but has to find it. Garage was packed full of junk, lol. Possibly goin to look at a bolens 1253 and a 122 cub cadet this weekend. They both run and have mower decks which is what I need.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Where about are you in VA?

Talnted; got to remember when it comes to prices, they are always higher out here just because we don't seem to have the abundance of GT's that are out in the mid west (closer to the plants I guess).

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
But used parts cost the same =] I'm just bargain-minded...I've been burned when buying basket cases. Never hurts to add a bit of knowledge before going to check something out.

I have actually had one machine, a couple attachments and one of my loaders shipped up from VA (Uship). I've seen some fairly good deals down that way. It seems to me that often times, up in the Simplicity-belt, prices can be inflated because of the brand's popularity. The guys over in WI and PA are getting double what I can get for a tiller. The last one of those I sold went to PA, the one before that, to KY. I recently sold a dozer and blower to IA, and when you check craigslist in those states, there is an abundance of equipment, but the asking prices are just higher.

Even with much patience, I have never been able to break the $150 mark on selling a tiller, blower or dozer to a buyer in MI, but each of my out of state sales have brought in more than that (close to double), when finding a new home in areas where the brand is more prevalent. I think I find cheaper prices up here, because the stuff is tough to come by, and is not as attention grabbing as other places. It also makes it tough to get your $ back out of it. I'm now making about 2 trips a year, to deliver/trade out of state.

From watching CL and ebay, and listening to the folks in the collecting community, the East Coast seems like the place to find the very best deals on the brand. I've also seen some incredible steals on the West coast...but any listing at all is rare out there because of their scarcity. My other loader came from Seattle when I couldn't afford any of the ones I found in the Midwest. Just somethin to consider.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went and looked at a simplicity 7116 today with a mower deck. Guy said it runs but battery went dead trying to start it after just a couple of cranks. battery was shot. Carb leaked real bad where it bolts to motor and the the rear of the carb where carb is in the shape of a circle and faces rear of tractor. he said he would get it running this week and im gonna go pick it up hopefully if all works out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts