My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 336 Posts

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
Unfortunately, I was not forced to behave. I figure out a way of doing it anyway. The steering box on my MF1655 needs a complete rebuild at about 1000 hours and is now overdue for its second rebuild. Steering with a heavy payload now means stopping, dropping the bucket (or payload) to the ground, turning the wheel, and lifting the bucket up before proceeding.
A very valid point Bob, one that I practice myself, but neglected to mention.

It is so much easier to spin the steering wheel when the front tires are lifted off the ground. Yep even easier than PS.:tango_face_smile:

This summer is now my 5th with the loader and no idea how many hours I have put on it, but a lot. I have crushed one set of front wheel bearings, scoring the spindle and on a different occassion, outright snapped the spindle on the other side. All of course were 40 yr old parts. But considering it has moved about ten tandem loads of soil, a triaxle load of gravel, dug up at least 40 dead cedar trees and dug a hole deep enough to bury our horse in frozen ground, I'd say it earned its' keep.

The Ross steering box had about a 1/4 turn of play when I got it and is now about a 1/2 turn. All the same it is still straight as an arrow.... well almost.... going up the driveway pushing snow. These were tough old machines.:thThumbsU

So how's things in the great white north Bob? Hope you are getting at least some rain as things are getting pretty scary in the interior of BC. The smoke is even blocking out the sun on Vancouver Island where I have family.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I have added PS to a non-PS tractor and the secret is to use the parts that were intended for a loader tractor. A lot of older tractors have 3/4 spindles on the front which should never be used for PS nor a loader. And many of the non-PS tractors did not have a beefy enough front axle to handle the strain that will be placed on them by the loader and PS. I've used and built both and I can tell you that once you put PS on a loader/tractor you will never go back. The other never-go-back theorem is once you have had foot pedals on a loader you will never go back to a go lever either. If Grandpa Jay would start producing the foot pedal conversion for the 318 he would die rich!

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
I have added PS to a non-PS tractor and the secret is to use the parts that were intended for a loader tractor. A lot of older tractors have 3/4 spindles on the front which should never be used for PS nor a loader. And many of the non-PS tractors did not have a beefy enough front axle to handle the strain that will be placed on them by the loader and PS. I've used and built both and I can tell you that once you put PS on a loader/tractor you will never go back. The other never-go-back theorem is once you have had foot pedals on a loader you will never go back to a go lever either. If Grandpa Jay would start producing the foot pedal conversion for the 318 he would die rich!
:ditto: on the heavier spindles Rudy. If I ever retire from retirement, mine will get done,

and :ditto: on the foot pedal hydro, makes for seamless loader operation.

·
1K poster
1,798 Posts
I agree with Larry and Rudy, PS is probably better, but foot pedals are the way to go. I have a Johnson on my 316, no PS and as long as it's moving, it's surprisingly nimble, but I didn't figure that would be the case at first. However, foot pedals would free up a hand, even on a PS unit. What I need to do is find a 40 for my 445:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I believe you are on the quest of a lifetime Don! I have owned one 40 and when I put it online, I sold it over the phone sight unseen. They are hard to come by in the South. MidWest not so much. Good luck!

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
I agree with Larry and Rudy, PS is probably better, but foot pedals are the way to go. I have a Johnson on my 316, no PS and as long as it's moving, it's surprisingly nimble, but I didn't figure that would be the case at first. However, foot pedals would free up a hand, even on a PS unit. What I need to do is find a 40 for my 445:tango_face_wink:
I've seen a couple 40 loaders for sale on eBay. I saw them while I was looking for a 44 loader.

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
939 Posts
If Grandpa Jay would start producing the foot pedal conversion for the 318 he would die rich!
I'm pretty sure most 318 owners that appreciate "original" would blanche at what would have to be modified for foot pedals. It takes some nerve to start carving on a nice vintage machine. And it's an aging market. I've read discussions about the possibility that the vintage tractor phase may have peaked. Sad for the next generation of enthusiasts.

I'm destined to die poor. With lots of "million dollar ideas". Jay

·
21,506 Posts
A very valid point Bob, one that I practice myself, but neglected to mention.

It is so much easier to spin the steering wheel when the front tires are lifted off the ground. Yep even easier than PS.:tango_face_smile:

This summer is now my 5th with the loader and no idea how many hours I have put on it, but a lot. I have crushed one set of front wheel bearings, scoring the spindle and on a different occassion, outright snapped the spindle on the other side. All of course were 40 yr old parts. But considering it has moved about ten tandem loads of soil, a triaxle load of gravel, dug up at least 40 dead cedar trees and dug a hole deep enough to bury our horse in frozen ground, I'd say it earned its' keep.

The Ross steering box had about a 1/4 turn of play when I got it and is now about a 1/2 turn. All the same it is still straight as an arrow.... well almost.... going up the driveway pushing snow. These were tough old machines.:thThumbsU

So how's things in the great white north Bob? Hope you are getting at least some rain as things are getting pretty scary in the interior of BC. The smoke is even blocking out the sun on Vancouver Island where I have family.
The 1977 MF1655 comes with the foot control, 1" spindles with tapered roller bearings (small and large, like on a 2wd truck), and a ridiculously strong front axle pivot. I did manage to break the welds holding the king pin housings on the ends of the axle 3 times, the left one twice. Other that that, no breakage due to 2200 hours of loader operations that was not the fault of the idiot who notched the frame to accommodate an engine swap to an Onan P220G.

Other than the lack of power steering, it's as good a loader platform as you could ask for. It comes with an inline Sundstrand 15 and a Peerless 2500 final drive. About the only other upgrade would be a Peerless 2600 for a bit more ballast carrying capability, and a diff lock. The axle torque rating is the same for both rear ends. Never felt a need for a diff lock with all the ballast needed for the loader.

Among the many projects was the excavation of 150 yards of material from the driveway. It seems that there was originally a septic system lined with red clay in that area and I got tired of bailing out the garage in the spring when the driveway heaved.

We have a wet summer this year, Larry. I'm falling behind on my mowing waiting for it to dry up a bit.

·
4K Poster!!!!
4,693 Posts
I'm pretty sure most 318 owners that appreciate "original" would blanche at what would have to be modified for foot pedals. It takes some nerve to start carving on a nice vintage machine. And it's an aging market. I've read discussions about the possibility that the vintage tractor phase may have peaked. Sad for the next generation of enthusiasts.

I'm destined to die poor. With lots of "million dollar ideas". Jay
I'm sure a lot of people would like kits for that. Keep in mind they made a ton of 318's.

I don't hardly believe we've reached the peak. IMO we aren't even close. Every time I go to tractor shows they get larger and larger every year. And they're are people steady joining MTF and WFM and GTT that collect old tractors both farm tractors and GT's. I started in the hobby back in late 2011 early 2012 according to my pictures. From what I've seen the hobby has gotten bigger and bigger each year. There will always be vintage machines they just won't be the vintage machines we see today I mean the early X4x5 and X5x5 tractors are 16 years old won't be long they'll be the same age as a later 318 is today. For that matter the 415,425,445,455 tractors are approaching the 318 stage. And the early 318's are becoming like the 140s. From what I've seen You start at the new price then you drop down to where the X4x5 and X5x5 tractors are now as well as the 4X5 tractors value wise. Then you get into the 318 stage which is where they usually peak their used value for a while then after that they drop into the 140 category which is were the prices on them usually drop a bit then towards the end of the 140 stage they start coming back up in value thats when you start getting into round fender status and the prices pretty much keep climbing from then on.

Thats just my 2c.

Don't worry I guess I'm kinda part of the next generation and trust me theres hope that it will continue trust me.... :thThumbsU

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm sure a lot of people would like kits for that. Keep in mind they made a ton of 318's.

I don't hardly believe we've reached the peak. IMO we aren't even close. Every time I go to tractor shows they get larger and larger every year. And they're are people steady joining MTF and WFM and GTT that collect old tractors both farm tractors and GT's. I started in the hobby back in late 2011 early 2012 according to my pictures. From what I've seen the hobby has gotten bigger and bigger each year. There will always be vintage machines they just won't be the vintage machines we see today I mean the early X4x5 and X5x5 tractors are 16 years old won't be long they'll be the same age as a later 318 is today. For that matter the 415,425,445,455 tractors are approaching the 318 stage. And the early 318's are becoming like the 140s. From what I've seen You start at the new price then you drop down to where the X4x5 and X5x5 tractors are now as well as the 4X5 tractors value wise. Then you get into the 318 stage which is where they usually peak their used value for a while then after that they drop into the 140 category which is were the prices on them usually drop a bit then towards the end of the 140 stage they start coming back up in value thats when you start getting into round fender status and the prices pretty much keep climbing from then on.

Thats just my 2c.

Don't worry I guess I'm kinda part of the next generation and trust me theres hope that it will continue trust me.... :thThumbsU

Well, I brought it home for $600, now the fun can begin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
FANTASTIC DEAL SPD! ! Heck, it's a STEAL ! Just need to put the tins back on.

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
FANTASTIC DEAL SPD! ! Heck, it's a STEAL ! Just need to put the tins back on.

It's not going to be quite that easy, there are a few missing parts. Not to mention the redneck repairs.

Which spindle would you suspect is the correct one? My money would be on the shorter one.

·
Administrator
5,154 Posts

This is the Jacobsen spindle.........Shouldnt be too hard to find one. Might be a good time to convert it to 1" spindles......

Love the tie rod fix, have to remember that one.....lol

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #36

This is the Jacobsen spindle.........Shouldnt be too hard to find one. Might be a good time to convert it to 1" spindles......

Love the tie rod fix, have to remember that one.....lol
I'm not so sure this is going to be worth putting money into. So far the starter is missing, the muffler, and the steering box. I have a message into the seller to see if he can find them. I'm also not sure where I would source 1" spindles from. Now the question is, should I try to find parts for this or should I mount it on one of my other tractors.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,012 Posts
You're right, it never is that easy.....

My suggestion would be to pick up that $150 running Jake and decide from there.

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
You're right, it never is that easy.....

My suggestion would be to pick up that $150 running Jake and decide from there.
Working on it, unfortunately the ad didn't have a phone number just the e-mail link.

·
Michael
2,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I e-mailed the guy that has the other GT14 for sale but have not heard back yet. I've looked on e-bay and there isn't much out there for these tractors. Does anyone know another place I might be able to source parts from? It would be nice to keep this loader on its own tractor but if I can't find parts that may not happen.

·
Administrator
5,154 Posts
I e-mailed the guy that has the other GT14 for sale but have not heard back yet. I've looked on e-bay and there isn't much out there for these tractors. Does anyone know another place I might be able to source parts from? It would be nice to keep this loader on its own tractor but if I can't find parts that may not happen.

You can also include 72-76 Ford LGT in your search.....same machine except for the bodywork.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 336 Posts