My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of last march i was walking the dog when i tripped across something that caught my eye, hmm whats this???!!! a sorry looking lawn tractor sitting out by the road side, and there's a piece of cardboard taped to it with 4 leters on it. This really caught my attention!!!, either it says "sale" or "free" walked up to it and it said FREE,... Yes!!!!! so called up my friend and had her drive on down with the jeep to pick up the find! :trink39:

As i was about ready to tow it home the owner showed up and talked with me about it. He said it had been sitting unused for 2 years but when it was last used it worked (famous last words i know), so i got it home and took some pix of it. It was in real bad shape as you can see, had vines growing under the hood, had a bit of rust, a bent up front end from a collision as the brakes were non functional, and UV damage all over ETC....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
:ditto:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing would work on the tractor either it was rusted up or bent all to heck, so looked up the model number and serial, (917.257651) (050494A) i tore the entire thing down, evaluated what i needed to fix and or replaced and then other things came up that took all my attentions and the project sat for almost 4 months!.

The front tires were toast, sidewalls rotted open, wouldn't even hold an inner tube in!.
Rims had a lot of damage from running on flat tires by the original owner on concrete to put it out on the curbside.
Bushings in both rims totally wore out.
Right front spindle was grooved from worn bearings and bent from the apparent collision.
tie rod was bent severely, had a plate sloppily welded to it at one point for added strength
The frame was bent downward on the front end a good 1/2 inch, the deck supports under it were bent in and contorted a bit.
The hood hinges were bent badly, wouldn't rest on the hinge points on the frame.
The saddle plate was severely bent causing the steering column to be riding on the dash panel.
The belts were wore out and stretched slightly.
rear tires were both flat but still usable, one had a nail in it the other has some side wall cracking that is letting air out.
The deck was a total mess, rusted severely on the discharge side, blades worn down and sharpened countless times, idler pulley bearings shot, spindle bearings and bolts seized in the spindles (bolts broke on an attempt to unfasten), and pulley brakes worn out.
The 6 speed transmission had the brake pucks wore out totally, and the lever return spring missing. might be missing a few things but cant remember everything at this point lol...

So i tore the tractor down completely power washed everything off and proceeded to sandblast all the usable frame, and deck components.

Replaced the front tires rims and bushings, found a NOS front spindle as they are no longer made, got a used saddle plate, new tie rod, new nylon bushings for all the steering, deck lift and clutch engagement components, new belts, brake pucks return spring, and a total deck rebuild kit
straightened out the bent frame and welded up many stress cracks around the engine mount and front axle channel, also straightened out and welded the stress cracks on the rear tow hitch and re rounded the stretched hitch hole, also welded up a few stress cracks on the deck.
Tore down, sandblasted the transmission case halves, painted, cleaned, and rebuilt the internal transmission components.
Shot primer and color on all the frame and deck components, after it cured and had more time i started to assemble.
Here's a few pix of the assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:sorry1: getting pulled away again so will be back in a bit to post the rest of the pix..... stay tuned!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lookin really nice Smokey! You're one of the few that actually went after the mowing deck, really sharp.
The mowing deck was in the worst shape rust wise, took a bit of sandblasting but i got it had one tiny rust through on the top of the deck of which i welded back shut and added a little material to it for strength.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
After reassembling the various components of the tractor i finally installed a new fuel line, filter, and came time for the acid test, will the engine work???!!! i checked the oil and it was like new, wasn't enough in it to run on but the oil was new, had looked like the engine was very well cared for and prepped for winter storage, the carb was clean with little or no sediment in the bowl, filter element looked next to new along with the pre filter, spark plug looked like it had a season of use but clean so i filled the oil up to the proper level added a few gallons to the tank and decided to give it a go, well it just wouldn't fire so put a little gas down the carb and tried again and it fired up and ran but only for a few seconds. So i checked the fuel pump and it turned out bad, after sitting for 2 years water got into the fuel and had corroded the pot metal check valves of the pump. so back to eBay to get a pump, looked at the prices of new replacement pumps and said um no way!!!! so found a "similar" pump used for $8 and got real lucky!!!, the check valve section is identical!! slapped it together and reconnected everything, tried again and she lives!.:thThumbsU

Installed the deck on and went through the leveling procedure and discovered the entire deck was warped!!! a few 2 x 4 blocks and my own weight took care of that problem and after a bit of measuring and readjusting it was level and the tips of the blades were less than 1/16th of an inch off of each other.
Finally i got to the hood and the bent all to heck hinges, i straightened them out and reinstalled.
Unfortunately i ran out of the green stuff to redo the fenders and hood, might get to that in some time in the future. Have the grass deflector and hinge assembly parts and inner tube for the rear tire on order, hope to get them soon!!!
Here's what she looks like now!.

Attachments

·
Banned
2 Posts
looks great i have one thats almost the same I bought mine for $60 bucks deck was garbage and it needed at new battery runes good ..Use mine to pull things around at my dads and take it back to the deer camp so dad dont have to walk anymore

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,266 Posts
WOW good job! Based on your description of its condition, i owul dhave abandoned it too!! Although, I say that but i just rebuilt an 18/6 that had abroken frame, and it looks pretty sweet :D

Good job and keep us posted!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts