My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a Edko walking tractor today (please see attached pics). It appears to be from the late 70's. It came with a B&S 5Hp motor that is currently not on the tractor (it's going to need a little work). It came with about a 10" plow.

If any of you guys can tell me anything about an Edko, please tell me something about it. I was looking on the internet and really couldn't find any information on it. serial #110572

If anyone has a manual (pdf), please send me a copy

thanks

Attachments

·
Electrician
937 Posts
Yeah, that is a really nice find. You got my interest now. I will start searching for information. I have alot of resources and maybe I'll find something. I just never heard of that make. Looks nice and simple and should make you a good rig.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Why do big companys buy up little companys just to discontinue production? Did ariens really think Edco was a threat? They bought up Gravely too, and stopped making them too. Now they just use the name. It doesn't make sense to me. Back to the point at hand you have a real rare tractor on your hands take good care of it! My guess is anything that breaks can be made, it looks like a nice simple design. I would love to find one, maybe it is because of my name! Ed

·
Registered
55 Posts
First thing I'd do is cover that sticker on the top shroud while you're working on it. you'll pay **** trying to replace that one...

Good luck with it.. Keep searching on line... that's my advice... I try and search thing several different ways... by make and model, manufacturer ext... never know what's floating around out there.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
I can't see if it has a pto, is it strictly a puller or pusher? Or can it handle moving attachments? Where was it made? Ed

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The manufacturer was in Des monies Iowa. It's a puller type, and it appears to have a sleeve hitch type mount.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have seen that add in some old magazines I have but never one of the tractors. I would sure like to see full dimensional measurements and extensive photos. Might would try to copy it. The hubs from the inside look similar to David Bradleys, do they only allow power forward and click in reverse or power reverse as well. That looks like a really good find. I hope you get years of service and enjoyment out of it. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Why do big companys buy up little companys just to discontinue production? Did ariens really think Edco was a threat? They bought up Gravely too, and stopped making them too. Now they just use the name. It doesn't make sense to me. Back to the point at hand you have a real rare tractor on your hands take good care of it! My guess is anything that breaks can be made, it looks like a nice simple design. I would love to find one, maybe it is because of my name! Ed
It's not always just to discontinue the line,sometimes the smaller companies hold patents to things the larger companies can't use,so they buy out the smaller company just for that or in some instances,it's just cheaper to buy the company than to pay for the rights to use the technology.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the same tractor but mine has now been restored from a free barn find. I also have all the attachments for mine... harrow, disc, turning/breaking plow,hiller/ cultivator with several blades ... your plow is a turning/breaking plow. I just used mine last week along with the disc, lots of work but it plowed great... The Edko was a short lived production. Not sure of how rare they are since there is very little to read about them. I read a sales ad selling them with attachments for $899....The original motor had been replaced with a 3.5hp from the 5hp briggs, the color was white & red but I chose to paint mine red & black. The model of these were 1005, there is suppose to be a plow blade for the front but I have yet to see one though. The drive axle has 4 settings to widen or narrow the wheel base. I see you have old bar bell weights on yours, mine has the tire tubes filled with water for extra weight... got it that way. The hubs are suppose to be reversing hubs,or as known with this model, dead man reverse.... meaning it could wear you out to death trying to pull it backwards since there is no actual reverse... only forward... such as the patent was taken out for the reversing hubs. They have a ratchet action that releases the wheels when pulling it back but if the hubs are full of grime etc, they usually will stick making it hard to pull back or even turn the tractor, the belt must not be engaged to pull it backwards. They also let you turn the tractor releasing one wheel as you turn & the other wheel keeps trudging forward. The motor & gear reduction is 6-1 & it has 2 speeds on the main drive pulley to set the speed you want to use. There is the 3 pins that hold the attachments though you only use the holding pin & take out the back 2 when using the tractor.. it helps when turning it otherwise you must really be a strongman to turn it with the pins in. You can also use either of the two back pins to lock your attachments to either side. Hope this info helps you figure the thing out. I have recently used mine & found these things to be effective. Yours is also missing the front leg, it fits loosely so it can retract when moving & holds the tractor level when changing the attachments. on the bottom of the main drive pulley bracket is an adjustable cam on each side allowing you to adjust the chain & chain alignment settings. Best to keep them set right since it also affects how true the belt runs in the pulley.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have seen that add in some old magazines I have but never one of the tractors. I would sure like to see full dimensional measurements and extensive photos. Might would try to copy it. The hubs from the inside look similar to David Bradleys, do they only allow power forward and click in reverse or power reverse as well. That looks like a really good find. I hope you get years of service and enjoyment out of it. Congrats!!!

I have the extensive photos during my tear down while restoring mine. Needed lots of close up pics to guide me through putting the Edko back together. It basically was a simple design & functional in it's simplicity.

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
...just fyi, this is an 8 year old thread. You might have better luck/more responses if you create a new thread with your question...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts