My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a neighbor that inherited a 318 with the house he bought three years ago. it does not run now. sounds like the motor is shot. how ever its in decent shape and comes with chains and a snow plow. would it be worth fixing this engine to make a buck? hes asking $1000 but I think I can get him off it for $500. Thoughts anyone?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If it's a power angle snowplow, that alone is worth $450, so if you could get the rig for $500 you're doing well.

But forget about fixing it to flip it for big bucks. Too many risks. If you can get the engine running well without too much cost, fine. But you have no idea if you will be able to do that.

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
would it be worth fixing this engine to make a buck?
maybe, might just be dirty fuel system or a bad starter or coil so its hard to say, a rod through the motor might be a bit more expensive. :)

if you like to wrench, and can get it for $500 ($1000 seems high) they are great machines and one in running, nice condition will sell easily! not sure about making "big" bucks but profit for sure...

but beware - if you do a nice enough job you won't want to sell it :)

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
but beware - if you do a nice enough job you won't want to sell it :)
Good point :fing32: The market is so soft right now even if you got it for free you would have a hard time making money if the Onan needs rebuilt. But like Drake says you are getting it for free if you pay $500 for tractor and dual cylinder blade.

·
The Gate Keeper
1,181 Posts
You can part it out and make up the difference between the price of the blade and the price of what you would pay for the tractor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts