My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through craigslist this morning and found a Case 222 there are 2 photos in the ad only thing wrong with it is right front tire has a slow leak. I`ve sent a email asking if it still available and asked for address. This tractor has the 12hp Kohler says hydro and hyd. lift work fine, has mower deck left hand chute. Anything or area I should look at, price is $350 obo. does that sound like a good price? It`s about and hours drive from me.

Thank in advance

·
Snowcastor
93 Posts
Mower man

If it's a 1971 or newer ( snap fast attachments) and if the Kohler Engine is running without alot of smoke then I would be on the road real soon. I don't think that there are alot of $150.00 CASES to be had. You can barter when you get but I would take $350.00 with me incase he does not want to barter

Stewart

·
Registered
421 Posts
Too bad that's not Mansfield Ohio.....

·
Registered
417 Posts
anixon I bought that one from mansfield LOL
Runs like a champ needs a tire and tie rod and fluids changed.
Lights actually work.

I am going to go through it and do all the maintenace it deserves.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I guess that why he hasn't contacted me, yup that is the one in Mansfield, CT.
Wish these guys when they sell something, they would delete the listing.

There is a 3016 on E Bay, it`s in Chicago, IL. been all repainted new decals last bid this morning was $152.50 still the same now. There is a bunch of photos sharp looking, but to far away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220665219786

GMeanie

Good luck, LOL looks pretty good in the photos LOL. When did you buy it? LOL
Just got to stay on top of these craigslist ads.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Running like a Champ might be running like a Chump soon.
Drained the oil and found metal shavings in it.
Checked the dip stick when I was there and didn't see any bummer.
Weird it doesn't smoke and fires right up.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
Take it apart.....NOW.

Maybe it's not a big deal but if you wait and you put the rod out through the side of the block........... need I say more?

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
It might not be a rod problem, so there would be no knock to hear. Some of the 12's came with balancing gears and those have been known to fly apart quietly but then destroy an engine when the pieces interfere with other spinning parts.

Smoke is caused by running too rich a mixture or by oil getting into the cylinder and being burnt. Metal shavings are a warning sign that something is out of whack inside this engine and failure may or may not be imminent. If you blow the engine, then you still have to take it apart but you will definitely have to spend some money. If you take it apart now and find the real problem, then your costs should be a lot less. If it is the balancer gears, then remove them and toss them away or buy new ones. Your choice. Your engine will run just fine with or without them but at idle it will shake a bit more.

So don't beat yourself up over this. I don't think you missed anything when you inspected this tractor that would not have been missed by me or a whole lot of other guys. Short of bringing a couple quarts of oil with you and doing an oil change at the time of inspection, that sort of damage is pretty hard to find.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts