My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been looking for a small 4x8 trailer to tow behind my Honda Accord that I would use to get larger supplies from Home Depot, tow my Jacobsen tractor that I have been restoring and other things.
(http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=145499&page=2)
In my travels I saw this sitting in a guys front yard with a 'For Sale" sign, a quick call and $80 later I had it at my house. I will do a quick rebuild on it so I know it will be reliable and sturdy. In the past when I was searching online I found it and they retail for around $500, when I am all done I will have much less into it. Here is a link to who sells it
http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/LongChih/749TC.htm
Here it is when I got it home

I removed the decking, cut off all the broken lights and removed all the old wiring. I will install new decking, all new lights ( I will try and get LED's) and a new harness.

I then flipped it over so I could remove the axle, the tongue and start with the prep before I paint it

I used a wire wheel on the drill to get the major flaking paint then I will do a quick sandblast.

I removed the wheels from the axle and the bearings and tomorrow will get all new bearings and bearing buddies.

As you can see the bearings basically fell apart in my hand as I took them off

I took my hammer and punch and knocked off the inner race and called it a day

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well today my intention was to get both hubs off, clean the spindles, get new inner and outer bearings, a set of Bearing Buddies and get the axle ready to install. I already had one hub off and when I went to punch the inner race out I realized the hub had a bend in it preventing the race from coming out, okay, no problem, I'll just buy a new hub for $19. I went to take the other hub off and you can see in the pic it was bent as well. WTH? Did this guy drop it on the axle with no wheels on it? GEEZ. I figured I would get 2 new hubs and all the bearings. I tried to take the other hub off and the race was totally seized to the spindle, no matter what I tried it would not come off. I tried an air hammer from the back, banging it with a 20lb sledge, no luck. by that time that axle was a lost cause and I knew a new complete axle assembly was going to have to be bought, but I didn't want to be defeated and tried my cut off wheel to get the hub off, as you can see no luck.
I ended up just trashing that axle and measured for a new one. It will be about $130 for a new axle, all new bearings and I may upgrade to 5 lug wheels.
You can see on the left side of this hub it is bent, i tried to get it off but no luck

I tried knocking the bearings out but again, no luck

Even after I knew the axle was not going to be saved I tried to cut the hub off, NO LUCK- The whole assemble went to the scrap metal pile-LOL

I used the rest of the day sandblasting the frame getting it ready for primer and paint. Anyone who has sandblasted before knows the sand gets EVERYWHERE. I pulled the frame to the edge of the property so I wouldn't have to worry about getting it all over the cars and stuff.

Sandblasting the frame

All set up ready to prime

All primed

Tomorrow I will add another coat of primer and then get ready for paint.

·
forkz
5,954 Posts
go for bigger wheels u.ll b glad u did

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
either that or dual wheels. you want as much trailer tire on the road as possible. otherwise you will be sliding all over

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got her all painted up today. I went by the auto parts store to get more sand to sand blast the tongue but they were closed so that will have to wait until next week. In the meantime I will get the 4x8 plywood, paint both sides with grey garage floor paint and add a bit of sand in the paint so it won't be slippery when it gets wet.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
either that or dual wheels. you want as much trailer tire on the road as possible. otherwise you will be sliding all over
I don't think I could do dual wheels as it is only a 4x8

go for bigger wheels u.ll b glad u did
Yeah, as I said I think I am going to upgrade to 5 lug. That will give me more wheel and tire combo's. The axle I am getting is rated at 2,000 lbs. I am currently towing with my Honda Accord and that capacity is only 1,000 lbs but I figure if it has the capability to handle more it should be safer at lighter weights and I hope to get a truck soon anyways. Also with a larger tire it should be safer as well

Ahhh, nice to see you here. Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
holy bad bearings, thats nasty. nice work, you're dedicated

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thThumbsU lookin good

btw HOW MANY MOTORHOMES DO YOU HAVE :biglaugh:
The Class "A" is dad's and we are re-doing the inside with new carpet and a DEEEEEEEEP clean as the previous owner was a heavy smoker and had a cat. Of the 2 class "C's" the one on the right is dads that had a roof leak and he did a total gut inside with new roof, ceiling, walls, floors etc., and the class "C" on the left is a friends.

·
forkz
5,954 Posts
my 5x8 has a mini van axle with 15 in tires pulls good wayne

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
The Class "A" is dad's.
cool, i see it has floor the roof windows, does it have the "L" shaped couch?? if so its got a living room set up like mine, lots of room even w/o a slide out :fing32: i got pics in my pic album on here of it

i just redid my 4x8, ill have to post up a thred soon of all the work i did to it

·
Banned
465 Posts
I have the same trailer, sold by RedTrailers.com. You're doing a good job on painting it.

As a heads-up, Jay, you have the same fenders that I have and they are heavy...very heavy, especially for fenders. you might want to weld better supports from the fenders to the frame. Both of mine broke off at the support from shaking, creating metal fatigue on the brackets and rather than put those big heavy units back on, I'll use bike fenders. Again, good job.

Bob

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I got back to working on the trailer today, I set it up in the garage and ran the wiring for the light kit. I will run all the wires inside wire loom.

I also got the last few pieces sandblasted, primed and painted

I had initially installed the lights on the back of the trailer but the more I thought about it and looked at it I realized it interferred with any loading and unloading that i may need to do.

I then got some square stock that was laying around the garage and made up these extensions that I will bolt to the trailer and then attach the the lights to the square stock
Quick test fit

Priming and paint

I need to get new longer bolts to attach the lights and some bolts to attach the square stock to the trailer frame ( I need to learn to weld)

·
Registered
855 Posts
nice work... i picked up the same trailer last year(only mine had a sign that said "Free") the deck and siderails were rotted and 1 tire flat...i just happened to be driving the only co. truck with 1-7/8" ball,so hooked it up and dragged it to the job,then to my garage at lunchtime...that weekend,i towed it to my BIL's and kinda forgot it...just brought it home a week or so ago,...traded it to my son for a pop-up he got the same way recently.less than a mile from home...thats currently used for storage,top was a little caved in,and the canvas is bad,but i see a good candidate for a jobsite tool trailer in the works...ill try to get some pics this weekend

youre doing a great job on it, good thing you checked the bearings huh? i should do that,too,but cant spare the $ right now...hopin to buy a house...have fun with it

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, back at it today, good thing I have an understanding girlfriend, Thanks babe.
I let the paint dry on the taillight extensions and bolted them up to the frame

Its hard to see from this pic but if you look down on the light from above the exension goes out about a 1/4 past the light so that if it gets hit from the back it wont rip the plastic light off, it would hit the extension first

Once the extentions and lights were added I ran the wires to the inside of the framerails encasing them in wire loom. I also added the plate bracket in between the light and extension so the plate is under the light so it will be illuminated

I grinded the paint off of the frame so the ground wire will have a good connection. Many times when trailer lights go out you can trace it back to a faulty ground.

I then added a healthy covering of dielectric grease and bolted up the ground wire. I was going to use a self tapping screw but I knew that over time it would come loose and loose ground. Also if there ever becomes some corrosion I can simply unscrew the bolt, clean the ground area and reconnect it

I ran the wires up the length of the trailer drilling through the crossmembers so the wire loom will stay inside the framerails rather than crossing underneath being exposed to more elements.

Finally the right and left sides meet up at the front, I ran both sides within the wire loom. Once I attach the tongue I will run the loom within that as well.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
yea 9 times out of 10 its a ground causing trailer light problems, or hillbillys that think they are not needed :biglaugh:

its lookin good:thThumbsU

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Today I attached the tongue and associated supports

I attached the side marker lights and wired them to the original wire harness

I had gotten a 4X8 sheet of plywood and painted 3 coats on each side of grey garage floor paint. I added some sand as an abrasive so when it gets wet it won't be slippery I attached that to the trailer using 5/16" carraige bolts.

For my tie downs I got 6- 5/16X4" "I" hooks. I want to make sure that they attach to the trailer with some sturdiness. There may come a time when I will put a Harley on it (if I am lucky) so I want the tie downs to be strong enough so I don't have to worry. I bought a piece of 1 1/2"X 36" X1/8" flat stock. I cut 6 pieces each 3" long and drilled a hole in the center. I will use them as a "backer' to reinforce the frame rail.

I will drill holes in the sides, put the bolts in with the backers on the inside frame rail

1 - 20 of 44 Posts