My Tractor Forum banner

161 - 180 of 201 Posts

·
We're all friends here
13,815 Posts
The Bouncer is not really a member. It was created to enable all the Admins to receive PM's from any one of us, when necessary, just by putting the Bouncer in the "To" box.

The previous software listed the top 50 highest posting members. If Support can add page numbers to the existing list, you should be able to see more than just staff. There are no prizes. If there were, you can imagine what folks would be posting just to get the numbers up. 😱

·
Administrator
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Not exactly giving up on this new forum as I do find it interesting to learn new things. What I do find perplexing and/or odd is the many new features that have no explanations even when asking about them.

1) EXPLORE OUR FORUMS only has 2 tractor manufacturers listed. Why only these two? It gets strange when looking at the TOP Photos underneath shows 2 Cub Cadets, a Kubota and a JD.
2) POPULAR COMMUNITIES is just weird.
3) COMMUNITY STAFF while it's nice to know they are there, in perusing the 28 members there are some oddities like The Bouncer who has been a member since 2013 with one post. How one becomes part of the Community Staff is not explained.
4) TOP CONTRIBUTORS THIS MONTH only has Community Staff listed. It kind of stands to reason that the Staff Community should be reading every post which would give them an overwhelming advantage to reply to say an average user. Is there some kind of contest to see how many posts one can make in a month and what are the prizes given out? Should Community Staff be the only ones there?
5) REACTION SCORE & POINTS just what are these? Should we care?
Hey there, beyond the explanation already provided, some of these are indexing things. Since the migration all posts were moved over in one batch, but in time Featured content (like top contributors) or Popular forums will become more and more accurate. Reaction score is the total positive reactions you've received, and points relate to trophies.

Let me know if any further issues remain,
Gerrit

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hey there, beyond the explanation already provided, some of these are indexing things. Since the migration all posts were moved over in one batch, but in time Featured content (like top contributors) or Popular forums will become more and more accurate. Reaction score is the total positive reactions you've received, and points relate to trophies.

Let me know if any further issues remain,
Gerrit
We are all in competition with each other to accumulate the most positive reactions from others? Is that what that stupid "thumbs up" is for that doesn't have an explanation when you hover the cursor over it is for? What's to stop someone from clicking the thumbs up for every post? But APinNY said there weren't any prizes. What's the difference between a trophy and a prize?
POPULAR COMMUNITIES is not the same as POPULAR FORUMS. The Popular Communities is on the right side just above the BBB logo and the GDPR compliant logo.

·
Administrator
11,748 Posts
Support, correct me if I'm wrong :) but to relate this terminology back to the older software we came from, positive reactions relates to "Likes" given and "Trophies" relates to the promotion lines on the old board related to the number of posts made that the software automatically posted after a post count milestone was exceeded. One I recall was after a member made a 1000 posts the line "1000 posts and climbing!" was automatically added by the software under the member's avatar. So the Reaction Score would be calculated by some algorithm using the combination of Likes and Post count? Would I be correct in saying that way? :unsure:

What it boils down to is they are things most of us older generation could not care less about and just put on ignore. ;) But the younger people that grew up on Facebook and Twitter to name two like to see them as features. In the end there is nothing to be gained other then possibly a personal feel good feeling from getting many likes from other members and having a positive reaction score.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
I am still waiting on the day that the new format can be accessed from my android phone. Any one else having this issue or is it just me? Even with the old format and update us droid users were the last to get connected. My lap top is a little big for mobile use and has no internet built in. So being able to also get here by phone would be nice.

·
Administrator
2,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
We are all in competition with each other to accumulate the most positive reactions from others? Is that what that stupid "thumbs up" is for that doesn't have an explanation when you hover the cursor over it is for? What's to stop someone from clicking the thumbs up for every post? But APinNY said there weren't any prizes. What's the difference between a trophy and a prize?
POPULAR COMMUNITIES is not the same as POPULAR FORUMS. The Popular Communities is on the right side just above the BBB logo and the GDPR compliant logo.
This intrinsically not a competition, just showing recognition to those who keep this community going. As it was pointed out, if this were a race for numbers, contributions would quickly diminish in quality, just to up quantity posts :)
The thumbs up, is for when you agree or enjoy the content and wish to show the poster of that comment that you give the idea a "thumbs up," there is nothing to stop someone from showing appreciation on every post, other than the time and effort it would take to track through
Popular communities highlights other communities we think you would be interested in, though f you have more apt communities in mind, let us know. This again is going to index and reindex as time progresses, but if there is an online community you'd like to see highlighted, let us know

Support, correct me if I'm wrong :) but to relate this terminology back to the older software we came from, positive reactions relates to "Likes" given and "Trophies" relates to the promotion lines on the old board related to the number of posts made that the software automatically posted after a post count milestone was exceeded. One I recall was after a member made a 1000 posts the line "1000 posts and climbing!" was automatically added by the software under the member's avatar. So the Reaction Score would be calculated by some algorithm using the combination of Likes and Post count? Would I be correct in saying that way? :unsure:

What it boils down to is they are things most of us older generation could not care less about and just put on ignore. ;) But the younger people that grew up on Facebook and Twitter to name two like to see them as features. In the end there is nothing to be gained other then possibly a personal feel good feeling from getting many likes from other members and having a positive reaction score.
Close, points are pulled directly from trophies earned, where you're assigned a point value for each of the trophies earned. Otherwise spot on, these can be easy to ignore, especially if you change them in your Account Settings and Preferences. (let me know if you need help with those settings)

I am still waiting on the day that the new format can be accessed from my android phone. Any one else having this issue or is it just me? Even with the old format and update us droid users were the last to get connected. My lap top is a little big for mobile use and has no internet built in. So being able to also get here by phone would be nice.
Can you clear your mobile cache and cookies for me? It may be trying to index and access the old site. Once you do this let me know if there is and improvement in your performance on this site.

-Gerrit

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
Can you clear your mobile cache and cookies for me? It may be trying to index and access the old site. Once you do this let me know if there is and improvement in your performance on this site.

-Gerrit
My iPhone was doing that in Safari. It kept showing me the old site, it wouldn't load of course, but kept trying to go there. I finally got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
Deleted everything associated with the old site and started over. Tried that yesterday thinking it was the problem. Is there an app for the new site or a new IP that needs to be used?

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
Deleted everything associated with the old site and started over. Tried that yesterday thinking it was the problem. Is there an app for the new site or a new IP that needs to be used?
I'm running an android and Chrome browser. It never missed a beat. Which browser you using?

·
Premium Member
9,239 Posts
Desk top here with Win 10. Glad to see my Roper 20T is still in the banner. Upgrades seem fine for me so far.

·
Administrator
11,748 Posts
It clears the new posts list. What I use it for is to clear the list of any remaining threads that I did not read before logging out. Then next login it it only shows the posts made after I logged off.

·
Premium Member
1,753 Posts
wh
I'm running an android and Chrome browser. It never missed a beat. Which browser you using?
What android version? I am still on 6.0 and also chrome. When trying to open the site it goes into load mode and just stays there. Wonder how much space this format takes? I have 714 mg of free space so would not think free space would be a problem. Will try opening it some where with a better connection and see what happens.

2,233 Posts
I access mine through my email on my phone. When you access your email on your android the forum doesn't open up?

·
Administrator
5,020 Posts
wh

What android version? I am still on 6.0 and also chrome. When trying to open the site it goes into load mode and just stays there. Wonder how much space this format takes? I have 714 mg of free space so would not think free space would be a problem. Will try opening it some where with a better connection and see what happens.
I access mine through my email on my phone. When you access your email on your android the forum doesn't open up?
I think you guys need to clear your browser history (cache) in your phone. It's still trying to access the old site....at least that was what was happening to me on my iPhone

·
Premium Member
2,557 Posts
wh

I'm on 7.0 with 6gigs of free space. Connection is a 4G hotspot. When my hotspot is having slow downs this site loads when others give me a "cannot connect, server took too long to respond" message.

161 - 180 of 201 Posts