My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Administrator
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Community Members,

Over the past year, there have been updates to your community environment that have introduced challenges in usability and performance. We sincerely apologize if you have been negatively impacted. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface, and site performance has revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software on the site. Once we started looking at how to address these issues, it became clear that we needed to determine how to fix the underlying problems.

We needed to improve user experience, site speed, and overall performance, all while providing a secure environment for you to interact with your community. For the past few months, we have been actively seeking a resolution to these issues.

We are excited to announce that we are upgrading your site!! We have been working with a design and product development team that has enhanced Xenforo software to provide a modern and much better-performing platform. Our goal is to deliver an experience that better fits the current and growing long term needs of your community.

The new platform is designed for efficiency, stability, and to be user-friendly across all devices, including mobile. More time can be spent engaging, sharing, and contributing to your favorite community no matter where you are!

This is just the first stage of the new platform and we look forward to hearing your feedback as we make regular and timely improvements.

Thank you for all your support!

~ Community Support

·
Administrator
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Dear Community Members,

We have posted previous messages announcing a new platform coming to your community that will provide a better experience, faster page speed and work seamlessly across all devices, including mobile. We are excited to announce that Mytractorforum.com will be migrated to our new platform on Monday, December 2nd. The site will be in maintenance mode and in read-only while the migration is happening. This is expected site behavior as we move all the archived content over to the new sites. There should be no change in the content within your profile. All thread content will also be migrated to the new site. Your community may look a little different but all of the important information will still be there!

If for any reason there is a change of date, we will keep you updated on an alternative rollout schedule for the site migration. We look forward to your feedback on the new experience.

We appreciate your support!

~Community Support

·
2,140 Posts
I have seen posts in which people mention problems, but have not experienced it myself that I can recall...I always found that the site was very well designed, and that it ran reasonably fast and without incident...hard to believe that it could be better...thanks to whever worked on it and got it going....Mark

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
What he said, never had a problem myself. If it holds true similar to other forums, once it's improved it will get worse.
Sorry, if it works, leave it alone....my two cents worth............Mike

·
Administrator
4,629 Posts
What he said, never had a problem myself. If it holds true similar to other forums, once it's improved it will get worse.
Sorry, if it works, leave it alone....my two cents worth............Mike
Way beyond my realm of understanding, but they have to make these upgrades to keep up with the way the internet works.......Damned if you do, damned if you don't......:tango_face_devil:

Hopefully it goes well.

·
Blank Space
2,969 Posts
Xenforo will be a learning experience for most that haven't used it and a bit of culture shock for some of the old timers here.

I'm not sure if it's better or worse overall, but an awful lot of sites are abandoning vBulletin (the current board software in use here).

·
Administrator
7,075 Posts
We are excited to announce that we will be moving the community on Monday, December 2nd. If for any reason there is a change of plans we will keep you updated on the rollout schedule and any alternative dates. The site will be in maintenance mode and read-only during the migration.
It would be good to make a banner announcement before the site goes into maintenance mode so more folks will be prepared for it. Not everyone will see the notice here.

Crossing my fingers for a smooth transition and that this will be a positive change for MTF.

·
Rebuilding my First JD GT
3,302 Posts
Please don't make it so adds are so bad members chose not to visit any more because of all the adds.

·
Administrator
4,629 Posts
I was active on https://www.hyundai-forums.com/ when they made the move. I am not active there since. I fear that users will leave here in droves.

Just looked at that one and it looks just like a few others that I have seen in that format....Drab and plain.

To draw me to a web page, it needs some color, some character, some life to it. If it's boring to look at, it could have the best info in the world and still be boring.....Just sayin'

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
Yep, the new "clean" site approach. What I really want to say is "low maintenance" as these modular sites don't require near the upkeep as vBulletin based sites. Which means the VS will be able to "reduce" support staff, up their profit, and not satisfy many users. But as I look around the web today a lot of the forums have moved to this format. When I heard we were moving I was wondering if they were going to turn it into a Facebook site.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Just looked at that one and it looks just like a few others that I have seen in that format....Drab and plain.

To draw me to a web page, it needs some color, some character, some life to it. If it's boring to look at, it could have the best info in the world and still be boring.....Just sayin'
Both the Hyundai forum and this one are part of VerticalScope, as is the Mazda forum I moderate on. VerticalScope operates hundred of enthusiast forums. The owners are most likely bringing all of them into the same format to make things easier to run.

·
never too old to learn
351 Posts
It would be good to make a banner announcement before the site goes into maintenance mode so more folks will be prepared for it. Not everyone will see the notice here.

Crossing my fingers for a smooth transition and that this will be a positive change for MTF.
Seconded! I stumbled into this announcement when scanning ‘new posts.’

Good luck with the move. The site has been a pleasure to participate in and beyond a quirky topic/keyword search engine it has been easy to navigate.

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,813 Posts
Please don't make it so adds are so bad members chose not to visit any more because of all the adds.
I have absolutely no problems with adds, use Ad Blocker and have no problem with current Forum operation, I am an old man and hope change over does not preclude my ability to use.

Walt Conner

·
Administrator
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, the new "clean" site approach. What I really want to say is "low maintenance" as these modular sites don't require near the upkeep as vBulletin based sites. Which means the VS will be able to "reduce" support staff, up their profit, and not satisfy many users. But as I look around the web today a lot of the forums have moved to this format. When I heard we were moving I was wondering if they were going to turn it into a Facebook site.
We actually just hired another support person for the team. With regards to vBulletin specifically, there were several factors considered when moving away from VB:
  • vBulletin does not support IPv6, leaving a security gap in registration and spam management
  • VBulletin relies on third party plugins that get more and more unsupported with each passing year
  • VBulletin skins do not properly respond to mobile devices (which is a significant and growing portion of site traffic).
  • The most stable VB version is 10 years old and is only updated with security patches. Newer versions are known for very difficult bugs for usability (inability to post pictures for instance)
  • VBulletin's response time is staggeringly slow at best, even with the most recent server updates we've performed
  • Use of VB still requires us to lean on a third party for major updates and fixes should something break in the core software.
-Philip

·
Parts collector
2,777 Posts
I'm to old to learn new stuff. :tango_face_devil:

·
Super Moderator
25,922 Posts
We actually just hired another support person for the team. With regards to vBulletin specifically, there were several factors considered when moving away from VB:

-Philip
Good to hear there will be more support! Hopefully, as you move this site to Xenforo the transition won't be as challenging as the AWS move, and you all can work on user concerns rather than performance and compatibility issues! Time will tell if it's an improvement over vBulletin for member content.

·
Administrator
20,798 Posts
Hey, there, support. Probably having a wonderful day, huh?

I am getting bombarded by members (mostly 10 year folks) that are getting notified that they do not have permission to post, even tho they have hundreds.

Is this because they never posted their intro?**

I have been going in and checking the "Registered member-2" box.* Think this will work?

1 - 20 of 201 Posts