My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to know if Forney has a decent made Mig welder and if they made in USA? Anybody ever use one?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I've looked at some at my local Ace Hardware. I don't know their quality, but I do know that the models that I have seen are small and light duty; for the money, there are other units, like Hobart, that offer more value. You might wander to a welding forum, and do a search on Forney mig welders, or even just a google search; if someone doesn't like them, you will find out real quick.
Me, I would definitely buy another Hobart, before looking at a Forney- comparing prices, the Hobart offers more.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I've looked at some at my local Ace Hardware. I don't know their quality, but I do know that the models that I have seen are small and light duty; for the money, there are other units, like Hobart, that offer more value. You might wander to a welding forum, and do a search on Forney mig welders, or even just a google search; if someone doesn't like them, you will find out real quick.
Me, I would definitely buy another Hobart, before looking at a Forney- comparing prices, the Hobart offers more.
Another advantage is that Hobarts are made by Miller, many parts are interchangeable. I have a Hobart and it is a much better welder than I deserve right now anyway. I bought mine on eBay and saved about $100 over the Northern Tool price. It came with free shipping and no sales tax. I got a .023" wheel for it at my local Miller dealer. I wouldn't buy a no name welder, especially if it didn't have a good parts program to back it up.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I use my Hobart almost every day, and it has never had even a hiccup. I know that Miller and Lincoln are great, as well as some others. But, when I looked at my need (regular use, but not commercial), price (TSC can't be beat), and the fact that TSC carries everything for the welder, that wrapped up the "best value" category. I know that there are comparable, and even better, welders out there; there are also cheaper, and junk. I would own another Lincoln, and I would love to try out a Miller; but, I will buy another Hobart.
The only place in my area that carries Forney is Ace Hardware- I love my local Ace store. But, they only have a few models, the biggest model wouldn't do what I want to accomplish, and I have no idea what their support is. Hobart has excellent, English speaking support. And, there is a TSC on every corner just about, other stores like Northern Tool carries Hobart, and sites like Cyberweld sells Hobart. I know that it is a big temptation to buy a cheaper welder, but I went through a similar thought process when searching for a plasma cutter. In the end, buying a used (save money) name brand got me a better product, with better support.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know this is an old thread. I have the same question as the op.

TSC now carries Forney. Everything I've read seems pretty positive about them to get good reviews and they're about half the price of a Hobart. I I don't really need or want MIG, I want a flux core.

I'm thinking about the Forney 261 flux core TSC sells for 250.

Anyone have experience with that welder?

·
15,000 +posts!
20,101 Posts
My only experience with a Fourney welder was an ancient AC/DC stick welder a friends dad had--it had several jacks to plug the leads into to vary the amperage ,rather than a switch or rehostat...it also had charging ability to charge 6V and 12V batteries...
We used that thing a lot and it worked great,looked like it came from a scrap pile though!.

Not sure if the same company is making these new welders in the USA,or if they sold the name brand and some China company is making them..all I can say is they used to make good stick welders..and if a place like Tractor Supply is now selling them,they cant be that bad..but if they cost as much as a Hobart,Miller,or Lincoln,I'd stick to those brands myself..being able to buy parts down the road is important..

I have used quite a few MIG welders with lesser known brand names--my older brother has a "Clarke" brand welder that works great,I think its made in England..
A friend has a 200 amp,220V "Dan-Mig" welder that he's used for at least 15 years and it was at least that old when he got it from a closed up body shop,which by the looks of it used it daily --only thing he had to replace so far was the torch and cable for the wire feed,and he was able to use a Miller one with minor tweaking on it..

·
Parts collector
3,417 Posts
just buy a miller and be done with it. I have used them all and my .02$ is miller is the best for the price spent.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys I think it's going to end up being a Forney can't find a good used anything better in my price range.

I found this on the Forney blog site
As to where they are made.

I would love to have a Miller or a Hobart or a Lincoln but not in the budget.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Here is what I found on Forney site.

Q: Where are Forney welding machines manufactured?

A: Our Forney machines are designed by American and European welding engineers using Forney specifications. Our Italian manufacturing partner has a great reputation for producing quality welding machines. We think you will find our welding machines as good or better than ones manufactured in the U.S.... OK whatever of course they are!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Pffft. Nothing is "made in USA" anymore. Even Lincoln had to take the "made in USA" stickers off their boxes since they have such a high foreign content in them now.

What's more important than where it's made these days is WHO is selling it. This is because all kinds of stuff comes out of china (or where ever else it was made). Both good stuff and bad stuff. It comes down to the QA process of the importer. Some are just fine to flog whatever the factory churns out with just a change of stickers, others want a quality product for their money and will design (and verify) what they want the manufacturer to make.

My MIG is a Lincoln 180. Works great. Had it a couple years now and not a stitch of trouble from it. Worthwhile purchase for sure.Threw a spool gun in with it and it can do aluminum as well as steel.

My new TIG is from Everlast. Power TIG 250 EX. It's primarily a "chinese" product, but Everlast has a pretty robust QA process. Lots of good reviews for the 250EX on the web (both in forums and on youtube), so I took a chance on buying one. I still haven't gotten it set up to use yet, but I made the best choice I could for my budget. Everlast is about 1/3 or so of what you would pay for a new red or blue TIG with the same capacity. Time will tell if I'm as happy with it as I am with the Lincoln, but everyone who has seen it says "that's a good one"....

·
Registered
44 Posts
@Country1966? Not sure which model you are looking at, but I just purchased the 190 MP for $699.99 and there was a $100 rebate at the time which brought it down to $600. I would have loved a Miller, Lincoln, Hobart but the budget did not support anything in that price range. The 190 MP is manufactured in Italy, does MIG, TIG and stick. Yes I know jack of all, master of none but for my use which will be occasional and the fact I can get supplies at TSC it was enough to sway me to take the chance.

Best of luck!

Brian

·
Treefarm
69 Posts
I’m a tool nut and at work we use all Lincoln so I went with a Lincoln MiG 216 but when it came to getting an ac/dc tig welder I just couldn’t afford something like the Miller Dynasty. Ended up getting an HTP tig welder about 4 years ago and have not had a problem. If I was welding for a living I would stick with Miller or Lincoln but the other brands seem to work well at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts