My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of months ago, I had to take my forklift with me to pick up a small crawler.
The only trailer that I have that is strong enough to haul the forklift is my big gooseneck.
I didn't want to have to haul that big of a trailer just to carry the forklift so I borrowed a smaller trailer from a friend of mine.
Two weeks ago I had to haul the forklift out again and I had to barrow my friends trailer again.

Now this was starting to develop a pattern that I don't want to get into so I decided it is time to build another trailer so I don't have to keep borrowing one.

Last weekend I picked up this old rusty horse trailer and not knowing when I might want to haul the forklift again, I decided to brake off my current project and build another trailer.

The first thing to do is to start removing the shell.

Today I got it stripped down to the frame.

Horse trailers are built to haul heavy loads but there strength is designed into the shell of the trailer and not so much in the frame.
With the shell removed, the trailer sags easily where the front round part attaches to main part of the frame.

The main part of the frame isn't long enough to hold the forklift so the front part is going to have to be removed and re-built.
The main part of the trailer is set up on jack stands so I can cut the front part off.

.... Posting updates on this isn't going take up much space so I'm going to put the updates all on this post instead of making a separate post each time. ....

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I dont like the axle placement. With a heavy loads you need two thirds of the weight to the front of the trailer. To much weight in the back and your trailer will fish tail like crazy...

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont like the axle placement. With a heavy loads you need two thirds of the weight to the front of the trailer. To much weight in the back and your trailer will fish tail like crazy...
I really thought by now that you would have a little bit more faith in my ability to design and build things.

If you will go back up to the last photo, you will see that I said :
"The main part of the frame isn't long enough to hold the forklift so the front part is going to have to be removed and re-built."

This will make the trailer longer and most of the forklift will be sitting forward of the axles.

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Looks like it will be a nice compact stout trailer. Pretty easy to set up for 10-15% of your forklift weight to be placed on the tongue too. :fing32:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
I really thought by now that you would have a little bit more faith in my ability to design and build things.

"The main part of the frame isn't long enough to hold the forklift so the front part is going to have to be removed and re-built."

This will make the trailer longer and most of the forklift will be sitting forward of the axles.
Seeing your past projects, leaves NO questions about your ability !! You do excellent work :fing32::fing32: And sure seem to think out any issues way in advance.
I look forward to seeing this one's progress. :thanku:

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is my forklift.
Like every thing else I have, this is a home made rig also.
It's built on an old Jeep chassis so it has larger wheels and 4-wheel drive.
I still wanted a low trailer to haul it so that's why I went with an old horse trailer.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Looking good crawler, interested to see how this progresses, I have no doubt your talents will result in another well built and functional project :fing32:.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts

Just be careful. A wipping trailer can get away from you real fast...
I think I would back the forklift in to keep the weight up front.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just be careful. A wipping trailer can get away from you real fast...
I think I would back the forklift in to keep the weight up front.
I've always backed the forklift on the trailer.
That's the only safe way to haul it.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Once I get the front "round" part cut off and the wood floor taken out, this is what is left.
All of this angle iron framework is only 3/16 thick.

I went down to the local steel supply and got two 8-1/2 foot long sections of 20-pound steel channel.
These are 10 inch wide with 3 inch high sides.
The wide part of the channel is 1/2 inch thick.
The sides are 5/8 inch thick at the bottom and 3/8 inch thick at the top.
They weigh about 170 pounds each.

I'm mounting them upside down and they are spaced the same width as the wheels on the forklift to carry the weight.
The finished trailer will have a wood deck over the whole thing.
This deck should end up setting about 18 inches off the ground.

The channels are clamped tight against the side angle iron and cross pieces on the trailer.

Both channels are welded along the top of the angle iron and I'm starting to fit the rear cross piece in place.
I have three 12 foot sections of the pallet racking left and I'm going to use them for the cross bracing and the tongue.
The pallet racking is 4 inch wide with 3 inch high sides and are 1/4 inch thick.

Once all the welding is done from this position, the trailer will be flipped over and welded from the under side.
At that time, I'll also weld in gusset supports for the spring mounts.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The cross brace is welded to the front and I'm measuring up the tongue to get it on center.

The trailer tongue is welded in place.

It's time to tip it over so I can weld the underside.
First I get it up on it's side.

then I back up and lower it down so it is now upside down.

Then I just pick it up from the back to take it back in the garage.

Back inside and sitting on blocks.
I'm going to leave the trailer frame on the forks.
This way I can easily raise or lower it to make it easier to get in and around things for welding.

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
That is a stout trailer.The back ground scenery is wonderful in the roll over pics.Reminds me of how my area used to look, before the housing boom in the 90's and early 00's.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts