My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all have heard me gripe about the Wix filter for the Cub shaft drive GTs. I bought one even after reading some posts about the threads being wrong and I could not thread it on my XT3's BDU-10 hydro. @RedOctobyr had the exact same experience as I did. Others have used them without problems.

I have since been recommending the Cub filter as they have always threaded on for me. I've put 6 of them on my XT3 and Cub 3000s.

When I bought my 3205 it had a black Stens filter on it so I had that in the back if my mind. Decided to try one on the new 3225. Mine cost $12 delivered. It is made in the US and the Cub filter is made in Mexico. It looks good. Definitely different than the Cub filter. I'll update when I install it.

Rectangle Font Packing materials Electric blue Gas
Automotive tire Automotive design Floor Automotive exterior Font
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Audio equipment Rim

Reactions: ejl6658

·
Premium Member
5,247 Posts
And two Our FaDeeres.

I hope they work out well! I found some specs on the Wix, which I liked. If memory serves, it filtered down to 20 microns, vs 28 microns for the Cub filter. Which sounds good, except for the whole "not threading on" thing.

I still don't know why that was, but I haven't been curious enough to do something like buy an item with this size threads, and see if THAT threads into the Wix filter. Regardless, I didn't want to force it, and possibly produce metal shavings.

Reactions: Steve Urquell

·
Registered
554 Posts
In todays world you have no idea where parts are made till you are holding it in you hand, maybe.
I drive a 1997 F350 crew cab long bed.
A couple years ago I was rebuilding the brakes on all 4 corners.
Took both of the wheel cylinders off, took both calipers off.
Went to Advance Auto and bought left and right caliper, left and right wheel cylinder.
Started to put them on the truck, neither left side part would bolt in, threads did not match.
Right side went right in.
Left side parts were made with metric threads, truck had SAE fittings.
So went to AutoZone, and again all their left side parts were metric threads.
NAPA same as the other two, metric left side parts.
We have one more parts store, Fisher Automotive that had the correct SAE left parts to put my truck back together.

To lay the parts down side by side, they were identical.
They just would not bolt up.

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And two Our FaDeeres.

I hope they work out well! I found some specs on the Wix, which I liked. If memory serves, it filtered down to 20 microns, vs 28 microns for the Cub filter. Which sounds good, except for the whole "not threading on" thing.

I still don't know why that was, but I haven't been curious enough to do something like buy an item with this size threads, and see if THAT threads into the Wix filter. Regardless, I didn't want to force it, and possibly produce metal shavings.
lol. Yeah, once burned on the Wix, never again. When I worked fleet truck I spun on thousands of filters, many of them were WIx and I never had a problem with any of them threading on. There was something very wrong about what they were doing with those.

We'll see how this one goes on. Quite a bit cheaper than the Cub filter. I really like the fact it's made in the US as well.
In todays world you have no idea where parts are made till you are holding it in you hand, maybe.
I drive a 1997 F350 crew cab long bed.
A couple years ago I was rebuilding the brakes on all 4 corners.
Took both of the wheel cylinders off, took both calipers off.
Went to Advance Auto and bought left and right caliper, left and right wheel cylinder.
Started to put them on the truck, neither left side part would bolt in, threads did not match.
Right side went right in.
Left side parts were made with metric threads, truck had SAE fittings.
So went to AutoZone, and again all their left side parts were metric threads.
NAPA same as the other two, metric left side parts.
We have one more parts store, Fisher Automotive that had the correct SAE left parts to put my truck back together.

To lay the parts down side by side, they were identical.
They just would not bolt up.
That stinks. Right sided parts, and wrong sided parts.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Randy, I bought a 5 pack of these and have used two. They spin on smoothly and seem to work fine. You do have to ignore the JD reference in the description.
Oregon Transmission Filter John Deere AM35176 Toro Ariens Yard Tractors 5PACK - $35

Bill

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bill, are those Oregons made in the US?

Here's the Stens I bought on Amazon. $12 shipped

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"Forgive Me for I have Stenned."
Hopefully you don't turn to compost !
That was my 3225. Mice composted it

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread Rim Gas

Reactions: RedOctobyr and ken4

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I Stenned myself. :rolleyes: I bought their valve stems when I did my front tires. Am I forgiven?
Say 5 Glory B....DU-21s and all will be forgiven my son.

Reactions: ken4

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
🤣😂😅🤣

·
Super Moderator
10,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I changed the hydro oil and filter on the 3225 today. I put the Stens on and it threaded on fine, hydro works well and very responsive. I filled with Mystic 15W-50 if anyone is interested. How much you bet the yellow Cub filter I took off is original? The nipple was stuck in it and I had to easy out it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts