My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:thanku: STEVE!

That has got to be the single and most extensive collection of data on Fords that I've ever seen. And it's all right here on MTF.

Terrific Information!

Mark
Thanks...

I've not really got any "secret stash" of stuff, or anything, I just kind of compiled data that I found on the web, as well as some of the documentation that I've got.

I think that MTF is the right place for it... and why I was very happy that simple_john was able to help me post it out here, as a page.

I wanted to make sure that WE (the MTF "family") 'owned' this compilation...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Steve, have you found or heard of tractors with different engines in them that have been swaped with earlier or later models? Like a 9n engine in a 8n, which I suppose would make identification much more difficult. Do you know if this happens allot? Paul

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Steve, have you found or heard of tractors with different engines in them that have been swaped with earlier or later models? Like a 9n engine in a 8n, which I suppose would make identification much more difficult. Do you know if this happens allot? Paul
Oh yeah!!!

The engines in the Ns didn't really change significantly throught the entire run (from 1939 through 1952). There was, of course, the 'retooling' that occured in 1950 (moved the distributor, generator and oil fill tube) but... structurally, the engine was still the same... and interchangeable.

Best that I can tell, the block that's on my 8N is the original one. The serial number maps to a 1950, as does the casting numbers on the axles... and all of the other "accoutraments" (i.e. steering box, shifter, proofmeter, etc).

Those are some indicators that you can look at, in trying to determine the actual age of your tractor... if you suspect that the block may not be original (or if you're just curious).

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,553 Posts
There are other ways to check also..

If you have an 8N serial# and 9N/2N/ rear hubs is a dead giveaway!!
3 speed tranny with an 8n serial#!!

I have seen 9N blocks on 8N's also..

My 45 2N has a 8N hood and dog legs!!

Most all N parts (1939 thru 1952) are interchangeable..

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks for the great information. I have saved this for future reference as needed. Again, thanks for sharing..:thThumbsU "DJ"

·
Dog Saver
27 Posts
I can give it a shot, but...

That's a newer tractor... and I'm pretty ignorant once you hit 1964 (or newer)...

Steve.. that was some awesome reading on what you put together. Mines a 1970 Ford New Holland.. Im working on getting some #'s off it so we can figure when it was made ect.. maybe this info when I get it together can help you with your great list you have going.
What I know so far is it was built in the 1970's and is a 3500 I can see the 3500 where the decal came off ( where can i get 2 of those decals ?)
It has a heavy duty Bucket for the Loader Live pto n 3 point hitch, H L trans
3 cyl Gas Engine
My goal is to use it and restore it a bit to make it look Pretty again
let me know what you think.. I paid 4250.00 for it and the guy brought it to my house on a trailer 15 miles i think it was... was this a good buy ?
Thanks
Craig T

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
If I read this right the Nebraska tractor test says the drawbar power should be 16.31 hp. I got tons of stuff from the Universatiy of Nebraska on the 9N if you want it.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's really handy, especially the engine/trans combos in the NAA series. That's where the line up gets complicated. The only discrepancy I noticed was the engine size and PTO rating. According to the Ford 9N/2N Service manual, the engine size is 119.7 cubic inches. The horsepower rating was23.87 (maximum belt) and the "rated belt" is 20.29 (85% of maximum). The maximum drawbar rating was 16.90 (without the 3 point hitch) and the rated drawbar hp was 12.68 (75% of maximum).

The 8N should also be 119.7 cubes, since it used the same bore and stroke, but it used a higher compression ratio for slightly higher hp.

The manual also lists the PTO as "509 rpm at an engine speed of 1400 rpm" and a shaft size of one and one eighth inches.

Anyway, thanks for putting all that together. The tractor lineup was simple until Ford discovered that one size really didn't fit everyone after all.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts