My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1968 Ford 4000 3 cyl gas engine. I have always had a problem with the seal leaking where the oil filter cannister meets the block. The seal or gasket never seemed to be quite the proper size or fit. Not tight enough - it would leak,. Tighten it a bit more - it would squeeze out the gasket and leak. I decided to put on a spin on filter adapter. Because I was concerned with a leak I overtightened the center nut and broke the casting on the adapter! I ordered another and this time found a better fitting gasket. I just installed it a couple days ago and was careful not to overtighten. Now it is leaking. :banghead3
The mounting surfaces seem good - what is my problem? My plan now is to remove and clean everything, install a new gasket with automotive windshield urethane on both sides of the gasket and try again.
Anyone have these problems? Is this a normal Ford 4000 problem?

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
This is not normally a any more of a problem than the gasket pushing out by over tightening. The windshield urethane won't work but if you have a Caterpillar dealer they have a gasket cement (green looking stuff) that will hold it, you put a coat of it on the gasket and a coat on the block let it dry just a bit then place the gasket and make DARN sure you have it where you want it. Best stuff I have ever used.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I too have had problems with my oil filter housing leaking, especially after an oil change. I have the 1970 Ford 4000. I found out today what was going on; the oil filter canisters that I have been buying from NAPA have been getting longer and longer. I happened to still have the last filter and the one I took off today plus the new one from NAPA. Each canister is slightly longer than the last one. This means that you can never really tighten up the cup enough, and if you really tighten it you put too much pressure on one side and squeeze out the gasket. To test this I put the cup back on without the filter and let it run for a while...no leaks. I put the filter back in and it squirts out. I put the old filter back on and if you tighten it enough it will run without leaks (I had a bugger of a time when I first installed it last year getting it to work without seeping). Then I put the filter from two years ago back in (I had kept it in a plastic bag just in case I needed it for an emergency, etc) and it fit perfectly with no leaks!

I like the idea of an adapter and plan on purchasing one.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
i've seen some irregular gasket orings.. but in general.. clean housing and good placement, and a fram filter element ( ch14pl i believe for my 3000 ) yeilded no leaks.

the contact cement from cat that was mentioned earlier is for sure good stuff.. but as stated.. you will need acteone or laq thinner / carb/brake cleaner to remove the gasket!

soundguy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts