My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a larger tractor than what I've got now. I need to have one for running a brush hog, plowing, planting, cultivating, hilling, etc. 20+ acres. Not going to go big time farming, but want to try making some extra money growing potatoes, corn, & maybe other stuff. I don't know anything about a Ford NAA. Is a 3-pt hitch & rear PTO standard on them? How do they compare in size to an 8N? Would an NAA do what I want? What is a good price to pay for one that is is in fair condition?

Here's one that I'm thinking of going to look at:

He wants $1000 for it.

·
Old 'n Cheap
175 Posts
I just bet there were a lot of old farmers back in the day that sold their mules, got a shiny new NAA and thought they had the world by the tail..I've never worked with one, but I bet if it is in reasonably good condition it will do all you say and more.

Some of the more knowledgeable members will chip in with a more educated opinion, I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I guess I should have spent a little time looking around here before askiing all those questions. Most of the answers are right here in a sticky. :fing20: :eek:

A little more horsepower, overhead valves instead of a flathead, & engine driven hydraulics instead of pto driven.

The questions that I still have are:
Were they a good dependable tractor?
Are they physically (length, width, turning radius) about the same as an 8N?
Any issues that would warrant avoiding this model?

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
More power than the 8n. Live Hydraulics. PTO shaft might still be 1 1/8" if it hasn't been changed out to the 1 3/8". Probably going to need an ORC anyway for bushhogging so it's an EZ fix. Good dependable tractor. About 4" longer then the 8n. Drawback is the vicker hydraulic pump. But if it runs good and the hydraulics work fine it's a *** good price.

Kirk

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Like any 60 year old tractor it is not going to have bells and whistles but as for a basic worker that it is. Dependable, well again it is a 60+ year old tractor and there are bound to be things that are worn, good news is there is VERY little if anything you cannot fix on it yourself if you are capable of basic wrench turning.

Go the John Smiths site and download his excellent guide for evaluating the tractor before you purchase.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have had one for 23 years it is one of my favorites.I have seen them sell for more than that in rough condition non running.I would buy all I could find at a price like that.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
In my area an NAA that runs long enough to load itself on a trailer will bring 2-3X what they're askin for that one.
:ditto::ditto:

I have had one for 23 years it is one of my favorites.I have seen them sell for more than that in rough condition non running.I would buy all I could find at a price like that.
:ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'd buy it for $1,000 and I don't even need it, that seems like a crazy good price.

If it starts, drives, doesn't make noise or smoke like a chimney, I'd go for it.

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
You posted on the 24th and here it is the 27th. I hope you are the owner of that NAA. If not, I bet someone else is the new owner. I know if it were close to me I would be at the owner's place with cash in hand.
Think of the NAA as an N on steroids. Reliable, easy to work on and parts available. I've owned mine since 1980.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called & left messages, but the seller never returned my calls. Today, the add has been deleted. :banghead3

Well, at least I learned a little more about another model tractor.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Like any 60 year old tractor it is not going to have bells and whistles but as for a basic worker that it is. Dependable, well again it is a 60+ year old tractor and there are bound to be things that are worn, good news is there is VERY little if anything you cannot fix on it yourself if you are capable of basic wrench turning.

Go the John Smiths site and download his excellent guide for evaluating the tractor before you purchase.

http://www.oldfordtractors.com/
Thanks for posting that link. Lot's of good info there. I've put it on my favorites list.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts