My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad is restoring his dad's 1953 Jubilee that was used on our farm from the time it was about a year old until just a few years ago when the engine finally seized. No one knows how many thousands and thousands of hours it had on it. My grandpa had rebuilt the engine last in the early 90's and had to use brass shims behind the .040 main bearings just to get it close enough to keep going. My dad wants to replace the cam bearings in it while he is restoring it and asked me to find a set. I have looked everywhere and haven't had any luck. Anyone know where I could find them?

·
Premium Member
7,954 Posts
If it needed shims behind the .040 bearings the last time it was done, then it is likely that you will have to have the crank built up and ground back down. I would take it to a machine shop to do that work, and they should be able to source new main bearings for it when they do. It is the same 134 ci engine that was used on the NAA, 600, 601 and 2000 series tractors from 1953 through 1964 and the bearings should still be available. As for "cam beartings", I cannot find any reference to cam bearings in the parts drawings. The cam shaft is directly connected to gears at both ends and rides on them, not bearings. If that engine does use cam bearings, the machine shop should be able to source those as well.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it needed shims behind the .040 bearings the last time it was done, then it is likely that you will have to have the crank built up and ground back down. I would take it to a machine shop to do that work, and they should be able to source new main bearings for it when they do. It is the same 134 ci engine that was used on the NAA, 600, 601 and 2000 series tractors from 1953 through 1964 and the bearings should still be available. As for "cam beartings", I cannot find any reference to cam bearings in the parts drawings. The cam shaft is directly connected to gears at both ends and rides on them, not bearings. If that engine does use cam bearings, the machine shop should be able to source those as well.
I sent the crank to the machine shop already for that very reason. They will be building it up and regrinding it. The crank and bearings are no issue. My dad does not want the block sent to the machine shop for work because it has an ancient patch riveted over a crack in the water jacket and he is afraid if they hot tank the block it will leak. He remembers watching the guy patch the block in the early to mid 60's. We have our own sleeve puller/installer kit to sleeve it (we work on lots of old tractors)

I also could not find any reference to cam bearings anywhere I looked, which is why I posted for help on here. Maybe I need to go to his shop and look at the block and see if it has cam bearings in it or not. He asked me to find some, and I was just assuming that it used them.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I sent the crank to the machine shop already for that very reason. They will be building it up and regrinding it. The crank and bearings are no issue. My dad does not want the block sent to the machine shop for work because it has an ancient patch riveted over a crack in the water jacket and he is afraid if they hot tank the block it will leak. He remembers watching the guy patch the block in the early to mid 60's. We have our own sleeve puller/installer kit to sleeve it (we work on lots of old tractors)

I also could not find any reference to cam bearings anywhere I looked, which is why I posted for help on here. Maybe I need to go to his shop and look at the block and see if it has cam bearings in it or not. He asked me to find some, and I was just assuming that it used them.
You will find no reference to cam bearing because it does not use them, the cam rides in the bare block. The only way to get cam bearings is to take it a machine shop and have it bored out. Not worth it, they have run for 60+ years just fine without them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts