My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still in verry good shape... Cant wait to tear up my garden with it

Cant wait to get my parts to install the PTO....

will post video when its all together....

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Jacobsen 38 inch Tiller on FORD LGT 165

There is one for sale in my area but its missing the PTO and all the brackets for lifting it... Its been for sale for a year now... might offer him 100$ ... Keep it for parts...

·
Registered
676 Posts

That looks real nice, want to come and till my garden?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Well got my Bearings today :)

Ok before you say well those a cheap stamped bearings... You dont have a choice to use them... If you use a real block bearing the shaft holes will be off center causing binding on the shaft.... see pictures for mounting locations and size difference from a stamped to a block bearing

So the Bag of goddies today contained

2 3/4 Stamped block Bearing
1 3/4 Real block bearing to see if I can mount it near the rear
1 28 inch V belt
2 3/4Bearings for the end

Now wating for the pulleys... at least i can mount my bearings this weekend...

·
Registered
24 Posts

Ah ha, I've been wondering how the PTO worked off of the engine on the Ford tractors.....looks good!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

As requested here is the tiller manual and the 2 different rear PTO set-up's ford had on the LGT's

Rear PTO type 1

Rear PTO type 2

·
GrandPa
857 Posts

Ford LGT 165, I have the same PTO on my 1977 165 and needs new bearings. Is this the type two PTO and you just ordered two pillow blocks(parts list shows one)? Trying to find out all I'm going to need to get this working.Any help is appreciated. Is New Holland the source for the parts? Thank you!

Kenny

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

These are the 2 steady bearing you need, with some washer spacers.

http://www.princessauto.com/power-transmission/driveline/bearings/components/8180978-3/4-steady-bearing

Block Bearing sit to high and will bind the shaft...

Remeber that if you still have the old rusted shaft you will need to put the grinder to it to smooth it out. Or if I were you I would get a new 3/4 inch stainlees shaft like I did.

Install all your pulleys first. then figure out the spacers needed for your 2 steady bearings... You want the shaft to be straight... This way you have no vibration... and you can leave the belt on at all times.

·
GrandPa
857 Posts

Thanks for the info. I will have to do some work on the shaft, as it is rather rusty. That's what they make crocus cloth for. Happy New Year!

Kenny

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts

you got a nice tiller and tractor also i am thinking of makeing a home made tiller for my lgt 145 and i was wondering how do you tighten the belt does the pto shaft move some to tighen the belt:thThumbsU

·
GrandPa
857 Posts

Fordboy, I just removed my shaft to get to the points. On my 165, there is an idler pulley(w/spring) for tension. Electric clutch turns power to shaft off/on. My set up is different from the above shown, maybe there is a "type 3"? Before the shaft goes back on, I will install new points as you cannot get the cover off with shaft in place.

·
the local ford fan
631 Posts

i am thinking of puting a right angle gear box on a simplicity tiller i have and makeing up a pto shaft and brackets to hold the pto shaft, does anyone think this would work or should i wait and try to get a ford made tiller for my lgt 145 :thanku: for any thoughts on this

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

the shaft spins at engine speed. You will need a gear reduction... The Ford ( Jacobsen ) tiller has everything built in

So yeah much easyer to find a Jacobsen tiller or a stand alone tiller that mounts on a sleeve hitch

·
GrandPa
857 Posts
Ford LGT 165,
Did you also get the front and rear bearings from the same place? Were they the SKU3870920? If so, I can get them ordered. Thanks.

KennyP

·
GrandPa
857 Posts
Thanks. There some that look similar at Princess, that's why I asked.

Kenny

1 - 20 of 33 Posts