My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see it in person as it is about 2 hours away from where I live, but it appears to be a great deal.

here's the link: http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/1159747073.html

Anyway, the engine has been replaced (16hp kohler) & only has a handful of hours on it. The owner says that he thinks the tractor is a 1979. From the pictures the mower deck looks like it's in good condition & tractor in general looks pretty good, but a fresh coat of paint can be deceiving. It comes with a plow, mower deck, & rear tire chains.

750 for a price on it seems like a great deal, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. I'm just a newbie to this stuff.

Thanks. Please respond as time is of the essence with this purchase.

ps.

Yes, I'm going to look at it & give it a spin before I decide, but just want a general opinion first.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Also, does anyone know if (or where) I can find a bagger and or mulching kit for this? I'd also like to find a loader. If this model will take one.

Also, I recieved this email with more info on it:

"it has new tire in front brand new only 2 weeks old .. engine was rebuilt with only 2 hours on it.. carb was rebuilt with only 2 hours on it engine has new connecting rod, piston, rings, valves,all new gaskets, new points,condensor, coil,plug, new paint.. engine is a cast iron block very heavy duty.. has new paint on front end ford blue wit new ford decals, seat is in nice shape also says ford on it, rear tires are in excellent shape comes with tire chains, 48'' plow blade that works off mid hydro for lifting and lowering, mower deck is installed now it is a 48'' 3 blade with deck wash... could use new belts sometime but is working the way it is.. deck runs from front pto.. has trailer hitch mount in rear. head lights work good. this tractor is all steel and is heavy mows very nice, plows amazing.. hydro tranny works great has high and low gear. adjustable seat, i think that is all"

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
Sounds like a great deal. I paid almost $600 for my Ford LGT14H with just a mower deck. If you can, jack the front wheels off the ground and give them a wiggle. This will tell alot about wheel bearings, spindles, and rod ends. Also if you can, pull the dip stick on the rear to look at hydo oil. It should look very clean, no burnt smell.

·
ROJ
2,183 Posts
its sounds like a decent deal to me.the fresh k341 engine would could close to that.it should have an eaton 11 hydro,which is a good strong unit and i really like the high low range.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Mdelliot, I would go for it. These tractors are tough. If you buy it, you'll never have to buy another one. The transmissions and Eaton 11 hydro pumps used in these tractors are dependable units not to mention a rebuilt engine. You also have the luxury of the front blade and tire chains. Great accessories to have.
Look two threads before this one at "Pictures of your Ford". Once in there, I have pictures of older LGTs that I collect. They are the same frame,engine and transmission/hydro setup. One I use regularly, one is in the process of restoration and one is waiting for restoration. If you look at the one that is outside with the jumpers hooked to it, you can see how well built it is. Yours will be slightly different because of the front panels covering the engine, but the mechanicals are the same.
I had the chance to buy a Jacobsen just like it 2 weeks ago that sat for 2 years. Somebody closer to the seller saw it and bought it on the spot before I had a chance to leave my house. Don't let grass grow under your feet. If you really want it, go for it before some else beats you to it.:goodl:

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Mdelliot, by the way, these tractors are built by Jacobsen. A well known and established manufacturer of lawn and garden equipment as well as golf course maintenance equipment. We all know we would love to have a lawn that looks like a putting green. Jacobsen made the mowers that kept them looking the way they did.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys. I have emailed the owner as I don't have a number to call yet. I'm hoping that it's still there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts