My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the useful information on this site, it is very helpful. I am restoring a LGT 145, and I have run across a couple of issues. There is insulation on the hood and side panels, do you replace this or leave it off? also I have noticed block off plates on some K series fuel pumps, what do they use? Does anyone use mild hop up on the K series for normal yard work, and how does it effect reliability of the engine. Thanks in advance.

·
^_^
65 Posts
I doubt anyone bothers with the insulation..

I guess you have a late 70's LGT? I don't think the early 70's ever had any, it doesn't look like my LGT125 did anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If the hood gets hot enough that you need the insulation from wrecking the paint, you have a bigger problem than the paint.
Make sure all air deflectors (around the muffler) stay in place, or you will really heat up your engine. (I know because I tried running mine without it.)
You can use a thinner head gasket if you want to increase HP a little, but I wouldn't do anything beyond that. The flat head engines are nice, but they use much more fuel than OHV engines, therefore, they create lots more heat, since the energy isn't converted as well into HP. Any electrical upgrade will not help HP. Make sure you run your engine fairly lean, it will help HP. Also make sure your points are set up to fire at the right time.
You can safely run at 3600 RPM. Anything over 4000 may blow your flywheel, which can be deadly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You can use a regular automotive tach and dwell meter to check the RPM on a 1 cyl Kohler. Set the tach to the 6 cyl scale and multiply the reading by 6.
A reading of 600 is 3600 RPM. This only works on engines like the Kohler K series that fire every second revolution.
Dave

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
880 Posts
I just added a tach / hour meter to my LGT 14. Two wires, one to ground on the engine and the other wire wraps around the spark plug wire (4 - 5 turns). The tach is battery powered. Seems to work great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts