My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a 2 part question. What kind and type of Hydro oil? and what kind and type of engine oil? The engine is a Kohler K-321. I have seen posts on other sites, but am curious as to what all you Ford/kohler fans use. I have received much help from this site and appreciated it very much. Thanks to all I have my K-321 running like a champ, I know you know the feeling of hearing your project come to life. Thanks again

·
Registered
968 Posts
30w in the motor, brand doesnt mater to me. I dont remember what I put in the trans, I would have to look at the jug.

·
^_^
65 Posts
I'm was looking for the same info right when I got my LGT, I'm not exaggerating when I say that people use just about anything in the Hydro.

Mercon dexron III, Type A fluid,Type F, 90w gearbox oil, just about every weight of engine oil, hydraulic oil..

You can put anything in the Hydro, but I would stick to hydraulic fluid. In my opinion transmission fluid is way too thin, gearbox oil is way too thick.

I purchased ISO 68 Hydraulic fluid. I was told that ISO 48-68 is what's recommended. You could go higher than 68, but I wouldn't go thinner than 48.

I personally run 15W45 "diesel oil" in my Kohlers, they will burn 10W30 since it's been so hot here.

^^ My opinion.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
Multi weight oil is not recommended for small engines. You should stick with straight 30W. I use John Deer HyGuard Hydraulic oil in the hydraulic drive. Originally the User Manual called for 20w engine oil.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Eaton recommends a good 20wt hydraulic oil for them as they are a very stout and dependable unit,as long as the oil is kept clean and fresh they will last a VERY very very long time. I've posted the link to Eaton on here many times , it would be nice if it was put up as a "sticky" possibly?

·
Administrator
5,678 Posts
I use the 20 weight tractor fluid that they sell at Walmart in mine....Maybe, thats why it whines so much.....lol...I hear the mid 70s ones are whiners though.

Ford LGT165...I see you have 2 jugs there....How much does the trans hold?

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I use the ISO -68 from Shell in mine and it doesn't whine bad at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is only one type to use... Go to New Holland to pick it up.

As for engine oil use what ever 30W is on sale.... :fing32:
Thanks for the answers. I have tried to contact Kirk for some parts, but the link from this post does not let me contact him.

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
If I remember correctly the hydraulic drive takes about 6 quarts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts