My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with Ford Aerostars, Crown Victorias and Grand Marquis can you tell me if the spare tire is a full size in 225-70-15 and what year your vehicle is? Since I don't have a great income and I drive a lot delivering pizza I have been buying off of Craigslist unused full size spare tires off of 90s Ford Explorers and 90s/2000s Ford Rangers and Ford built Mazda B2300 B2500 B3000 and B4000. I just bought another one at a Upullrparts yard in the north Twin Cities metro for $21. It still has the nibs sticking up from the tread. I have 2 more in my storage and need just one more to have 4 to put on my 09 Ranger. My 04 Ranger had a full size spare. My 09 Ranger came with a mini donut spare.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,963 Posts
I could be wrong.. but going back into the cobwebs that are in my mind I belive the aerostars has a spacesaver. Also the crown vic/Grand Marquis twins I dont know for a fact... but I doupt they would have that size. I belive they have a lower aspect tire on them.

Also you might allready know this.... but some of the full size tires were in fact for temp use on these trucks. Not all... but some of them. Also some of the Mazdas anyways had funky alloy wheels that didnt match the rest on the truck. Maybe it was a ford style that tey had laying around. We were suprised when we saw them on the trucks the first time, and thought they messed up..

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at all of my tires and one that I have on my older Ranger has "Temporary Spare" molded into the top of the sidewall of the tire. The tire otherwise looks like the rest of them. I went to another upullrparts location on Thursday and found no full size unused spare tires.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The Grand Marquis and Crown Vic had doughnuts for sure when they went to the turdy look in 91 I think it was as many guys thought they could get away with using the alloy doughnut wheel as front wheels for street strip cars instead of buying wheels like the drag lites.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I once did what you are doing. I stopped when one that had never been on the ground did this after a week...

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
Do you guys have used tire shops in your area? We've got a ton of them and they sell decent tires. All of them will let you pick out tires for yourself, some even have matching sets which is a plus. A full set mounted and balanced is like $120 with a 30 day warranty. Granted they're used but $120 for a set if tires with 75% tread left ain't bad. Heck I bought a full set for my Land Rover just the other day on Craigslist for $80. Saved me about $600 and they should last me quite a while. Some of those full size spares are still for temp use, I'd be afraid of them.

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have bought at least 6 of these full size regular use spares in the last 3-5 years and have never had a problem with any of them. I just bought another one for $25 wednesday evening from a guy who responded to my tire wanted ad. Now I have 4 identical older but like new Firestones for my 09 Ranger. Two are on the rear already and the other two will go on thursday.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts