My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this 9n up today.

Has a shifter on the left side of the bell housing.

The hydraulic fluid is super clean with no water, The shifter boot has silicone around the top of it.

Tires are bad.

No cracks in the block.

Got this for 200 dollars today.

Not sure what the shifter is for, possibly a up step or Sherman transmission? IDK

Attachments

·
close enuff works for me
2,921 Posts
The extra shifter is for a ,step up ,or step down auxiliary trans. You will have to drive it and use it to find out . The extra transmission is worth about what you paid for the whole tractor.

·
Premium Member
7,357 Posts
Nice tractor. That looks like the shifter for a a Sherman Combination auxiliary transmission (step-down, straight & step-up)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for that information.

Gonna try to turn her over by hand and if she turns i'll change the oil and filter and start getting some clean fuel flowing and see about getting her to crank.

The guy who sold it to me said it would run and that his father just left it to sit.

Seemed like to good of a deal to pass by even if the motor is locked.
Down here in the Dallas area if you stumble upon a good deal you have to act fast otherwise it will be gone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This afternoon I was able work on the little tractor today, Put a fresh battery in and noticed that the starter would not kick onto the flywheel, was only running the motor, So I pulled the starter and right away the dang bushings all fell out. I was like O great here is another problem. hehehehehe
Pulled the gutts out of the starter housing and applied a little amount of penetrating oil to the starter gear slide and then used a very mild emory cloth on the brass contacts. They were a bit weathered looking, but I was able to get them fairly cleaned up.
Used some small zip ties to hold the brush springs in place and reassembled the starter, Cleaned all of the terminals really good in order to get some good current flow to really kick that starter gear onto the flywheel.

Pulled the plugs and put a few ounces of 30 wt mixed with a little transmission fluid into the cylinders to help free up the pistons and hit the starter button with the plugs out.
She turned over like a breeze in fact turned over so well I was able to raise the 3 point just from the starter spinning the motor over.

Put one of the plugs on the spark plug wire and no spark, pulled the coil and cap and tried to clean the points contact but but I kind of half assed that.

By this time I had discovered that the tractor was not a 9n after all but instead it is a 8n with a 4 speed transmission.

Such a good find.

I'll get back out there and those points cleaned up and see if she will pop off.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,279 Posts
This afternoon I was able work on the little tractor today, Put a fresh battery in and noticed that the starter would not kick onto the flywheel, was only running the motor, So I pulled the starter and right away the dang bushings all fell out. I was like O great here is another problem. hehehehehe
Pulled the gutts out of the starter housing and applied a little amount of penetrating oil to the starter gear slide and then used a very mild emory cloth on the brass contacts. They were a bit weathered looking, but I was able to get them fairly cleaned up.
Used some small zip ties to hold the brush springs in place and reassembled the starter, Cleaned all of the terminals really good in order to get some good current flow to really kick that starter gear onto the flywheel.

Pulled the plugs and put a few ounces of 30 wt mixed with a little transmission fluid into the cylinders to help free up the pistons and hit the starter button with the plugs out.
She turned over like a breeze in fact turned over so well I was able to raise the 3 point just from the starter spinning the motor over.

Put one of the plugs on the spark plug wire and no spark, pulled the coil and cap and tried to clean the points contact but but I kind of half assed that.

By this time I had discovered that the tractor was not a 9n after all but instead it is a 8n with a 4 speed transmission.

Such a good find.

I'll get back out there and those points cleaned up and see if she will pop off.
Ya shes a 8N for sure... A tip on cleaning the points. You may know, but a lot dont.. When you clean them up, after you clean them just grab a ohm meter and check for continuity.. Once you have continuity with the closed points your good.. Saves a lot of time putting the dist back together and checking for spark to see if you cleaned them enough.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ya shes a 8N for sure... A tip on cleaning the points. You may know, but a lot dont.. When you clean them up, after you clean them just grab a ohm meter and check for continuity.. Once you have continuity with the closed points your good.. Saves a lot of time putting the dist back together and checking for spark to see if you cleaned them enough.
Or just look at the amp meter for needle movement as the points open and close.

tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts