My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago I did the following maintenance:

-Changed oil & filter.

-Removed all the wire mesh material from the air cleaner unit, soaked it in gasoline to clean it, air dried it and then put it back. (I did not soak the mesh in oil before replacing it, if this matters.)

-Replaced oil in cup at bottom of air cleaner unit.

-Cleaned the exterior of the engine assembly using a small brush and gasoline to removed accumulated gunk and debris. (I've attached a picture of each side of the tractor after I cleaned it.)

After performing the above, the engine cycles up and down every few seconds. Kind of sounds like:

putt.putt.putt.putt.putt.putt........putt........putt........putt........putt.putt.putt.putt.putt.putt........putt........putt........putt.........putt.putt.putt.putt..putt........putt........putt........putt........putt.putt.putt.putt.putt.
(sorry, that's the best I can do.)

I'm guessing that I either accidentally adjusted some linkage or whatnot while cleaning, or that I should have pre-soaked the air filter mesh in oil before replacing it?

Any ideas?????

Attachments

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Pull the air induction pipe from the carb to the air cleaner, check for debris. Start the engine with the tube disconnected and see if it still surges. Any black smoke? Is the oil in the air cleaner at the correct level? Carb could have been adjusted to compensate for a choked air filter.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
:ditto::ditto::ditto:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
-The air induction pipe was removed and cleaned from both ends when I removed the air filter assemble to clean it so I'm pretty sure there was no debris in there. I'll remove the pipe anyway, as you suggested, to see if it still surges.

-The oil is at the proper level in the air cleaner.

-No black smoke.

-Your suggestion that the carb may have been adjusted to compensate for a choked filter sounds like the best bet considering how dirty the mesh was.

Could I artificially obstruct the air flow to the carb to see if this is indeed the cause?

-Unfortunately, I wont be able to check on any of this until my next visit to the farm.

-Is a carb adjustment something that a novice should tinker with to see if that will solve the problem? The manual shows a main adjusting needle, an idle speed adjusting screw and an idle air adjusting needle. I'm guessing I would tinker with the air adjusting needle???

Thanks for your help

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
-

Could I artificially obstruct the air flow to the carb to see if this is indeed the cause?

Thanks for your help
You can simulate the dirty air filter condition by using the choke while the engine is running. If the engine smooths out at partial choke you will need to adjust the carb. A carb adjustment should be within your skills:fing32: Go very little at a time and listen for change in the engine. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip about using the choke. It makes perfect sense now that I "get" what the choke does. (I told you I was a novice):fing20:

Is it the idle air adjusting needle I should diddle with? Or might I have to adjust the others as well?

Thanks for you help,

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts