My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have a 1969 select-o-speed Ford 800 with loader (gas engine)
my question is:
when i push in the PTO knob or when i pull it out... nothing happens. the PTO just keeps tuning. but some times whenever it feels like it it just turns off. I have been told that it is not fully engaging?? but no one can tell me how to fix it. or what to do about it... all i want to be able to do is run my post hole digger and brush hog.
they said they need a diagram of the inside of the Select-o-speed transition. but i just cant find it.
thank you for any help you can give

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
It sounds like you need to adjust the PTO control cable. It should be covered in the S-O-S supplement to the service manual.

·
Registered
595 Posts
are you sure that the shaft is not just spinning from fluid motion in the tranny? i thought my PTO didn't work until i levered a board against the shaft while running and it stopped spinning.

both the 801 shop manual and the SOS supplement manual ( about 15 or 25 bucks at www.tractorpartsinc.com) should have diagrams and explanations of the operation of the tranny, but not all too much about the PTO drive and engagement.

good luck

tmm

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
are you sure that the shaft is not just spinning from fluid motion in the tranny? i thought my PTO didn't work until i levered a board against the shaft while running and it stopped spinning.

both the 801 shop manual and the SOS supplement manual ( about 15 or 25 bucks at www.tractorpartsinc.com) should have diagrams and explanations of the operation of the tranny, but not all too much about the PTO drive and engagement.

good luck

tmm
A word of cuation when ordering a manual, unless your SOS has been changed out you will have an ORC SOS. The DDC SOS came later. If you post the #'s on the trans we can figure out which one you have so you get the proper manual.

Kirk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
kirk the number on the side of the transmission read as fallows

312259 FZ
CWC
H209

the main problem i am having is sometimes now it will just turn itself on and off??
sometimes i can stop it with a board, sometimes it busts the board...(got it jammed oops)

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
kirk the number on the side of the transmission read as fallows

312259 FZ
CWC
H209

the main problem i am having is sometimes now it will just turn itself on and off??
sometimes i can stop it with a board, sometimes it busts the board...(got it jammed oops)
The #'s you posted are for the earlier original SOS (red) ORC trans built on Aug 20, 1959. You don't need a supplement manual for this SOS. The IT FO 20 manual will cover what you need.
That said it is possible to install a DDC trans into an ORC case. The cases are different so it would take some machining. It is most unlikely.
Stop with a broad= pto off
Broken broad=pto on
Caution; It is NOT advisable to try to stop a pto, that in on, with a board or anything else.

Kirk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts