My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any experience with a gravity flow fuel pump? My 601 was having a problem with starving for gas and it was recommended to me to try one of them. I was just looking for some feed back before I purchased one. I had rerouted the fuel line to a more direct route and it helped but it still bogs down a little when I bushhog up hill.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
I've never heard of a gravity flow fuel pump. Is that an electric fuel pump that only provides very low pressure, similar to the pressure exerted by gravity, or is it some sort of siphon type of device? If it is a siphon type of device, then it won't help unless your fuel line routing has the fuel line going higher than the level of the fuel in the tank. If it is a low pressure electric fuel pump, don't go much over 4 or 5 psi and it should be fine as long as the float and needle valve in the carb are in good working order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The one I saw was in O'Reillys in the lawnmower section. It was by the fuel filters and fuel lines, it was called a Pulsa Pump. There wasn't any information on the package so that's why I was checking on here.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
From the name "pulsa pump", it sounds like the type of fuel pump used on small engines, like in riding lawnmowers. They use a vacuum from somewhere on the intake side to pulse a diaphragm that flexes in and out and pumps the fuel. I don't know where you would tap into the intake on a 601 series tractor in order to provide the vacuum pulses to power it.

If you could provide a link to the one you are looking at, I could take a look and see if that's what it is.

·
Premium Member
8,689 Posts
joecdeere,

Thanks. If that's what he's looking at , it clearly says "Fuel Pump; Small Engine Pulsa Pump, " which means that it is the type I was thinking of. The picture looks like that type as well. It won't work on a Ford 601 tractor without drilling a hole in the intake manifold and hooking up a vacuum line to the pump, but the vacuum on that large of an engine may be too much for a pump designed for the vacuum of a much smaller engine.

I would recommend going with an electric in-line pump, but make sure that it's one designed for a carburetor, not for fuel injection, as fuel injection lift pumps have way too much pressure. I would go with something like this one. It's rated for 30 gallons per hour, which is way more than that tractor needs, but it is only rated at 2 to 3.5 psi, so it shouldn't overpower the float valve in the carb.

Link to electric in-line fuel pump at O'Reillys

But I'm not convinced that a fuel pump is what you need. Have you checked the tank to make sure that no debris is in there blocking the pickup screen on to of the shutoff valve up inside the tank? Have you cleaned the screen up inside the housing at the top of the sediment bowl?

The fact that you say that you re-routed the fuel line to make it more direct tells me that it had been modified at some point in the past. The factory routing is as direct as it gets. It goes from the shutoff valve across to the side of the engine directly above the sediment bowl and carb and then down behind the manifold to the sedoiment bowl which is mounted on the side of the carb. If that's not how it is routed now, try that. Also, if there is any kind of in-line filter in the line, get ridi of it, as there wasn't one on that tractor originally and most do nothing but cause fuel flow issues on those old Ford tractotrs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You all are right. I looked it up online and noticed that it was a vacuum pump. The person that had the tractor before me had routed the fuel line toward the front of the engine and back down to the carb. He had also removed the settling bowl and installed an inline filter and shut-off valve. I did check the tank when I drained it to reroute the line. I think the tank had been replaced at some time because it was super clean inside and the screen looked new also. It did run better after I changed it to where the line comes straight over the top of the engine so if I still have any concerns I will go with a low pressure electric pump. Thanks everybody for the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts