My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a Woods backhoe on my tractor, and it has worked great for 5 years, but today the PTO started disengaging and re-engaging intermittently. It will work for 20-30 seconds, then go off for 10 seconds or a minute, and do this over and over. I thought it was due to adding torque with heavy loads, or related to the suction hose getting kinked a little, but it continued even after I re-positioned the suction hose to stay unkinked, and also when I was just putting the implement back into its neutral positions. The PTO engagement lever on the tractor seems fine, and the lift and drop hydraulic mechanism on the three point hitch seems fine, I have found that those can stop working when the tractor is tilted nose down, and I have to add hydraulic fluid to the rear axle housing to make them work again. Is this something related to the hydraulic fluid in the rear axle? Does the PTO need more oil to stay engaged just like the lift and drop mechanism does? What about the F->S lever on my right side, is that supposed to be in F position to deliver the most torque?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
What suction hose are you referring to? The PTO on that tractor should be a hydraulically controlled independent PTO that has its hydraulics entirely inside the rear axle center housing. If it also has a second pump up on the side of the engine that is only for the 3 point lift circuit. The pump inside the rear axle center housing is actually two pumps in one housing. The larger front pump is for the 3 point lift and if it has the second pump mounted on the side of the engine then they wqork together for the 3 point lift, but the smaller rear pum in the internal pump housing is for the PTO only.

Have you checked the fluid level in the rear end lately? It sounds like the level may be down to the point where the intake tube for the pump isn't always below the level of the fluid and sometimes it's sucking air instead.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll look into that. I was referring to the suction hose on the backhoe hydraulics, which is external to the PTO, I didn't know if that could have an effect on the PTO turning or not.
I realize now that it is internal to the tractor and not a problem with the backhoe. I suspected the oil level and it must be that.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
OK, is the pump for the Woods backhoe being driven by the tractor's PTO shaft at the rear of the tractor? If so, are the PTO and pump shaft actually stopping their spinning when the problem is occurring? If the answers to both of these questions is yes then what I said previously about the fluid level should apply. If the answer to either is no, then we need to gather more information.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That was definitely it, thanks for the help. I am not sure the proper fill level. My tractor doesn’t have a square plug where it appears on videos and pictures I have found. None of the bolt heads in the picture are labelled. I am also curious about what the pedal just off the bottom left edge does (would be by my right heel when driving). I can’t find that it does anything. It pulls down the lever and piston visible in front of the axle.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was definitely it, thanks for the help. I am not sure the proper fill level. My tractor doesn’t have a square plug where it appears on videos and pictures I have found. None of the bolt heads in the picture are labelled. I am also curious about what the pedal just off the bottom left edge does (would be by my right heel when driving). I can’t find that it does anything. It pulls down the lever and piston visible in front of the axle. View attachment 2449709

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think my major leak is from that part which isn’t painted. What is it called so I can search for a replacement gasket?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I think that the level check plug is even with, or slightly lower than, the footrest on that model.

That part that isn't painted is the pump housing itself. The part above it with the half circle knob labelled F <--->S is the flow control valce which controls the speed of the 3 point lift. Turning the knob toward the F will speed it up and turning it toward the S will slow it down. The vertical tube between the two is sometimes the source of a leak, as it only has an o-ring sealing it at each end and when the o-rings get old they leak. The part number for the main pump gasket was originally E7NN915AA, but that part number has been superseded by part number 83961379. If you're going to pull the pump to replce the gasket anyway, I recommend replacing the o-rings on that tube as well, which are both part number 9992298.

If you don't have one, get a service manual. There are parts inside that are connected to some of the external bolts that may shift out of position or fall into the sump when you remove the bolts, so follow the exact procedure in the manual, which I beklieve is to remove the top cover, then the flow control valve and finally the pump.

Either an original Ford Service Manual or an I&T after market service manual will do. The I&T FO-41 is good for most things for your tractor, as that is actually for the ag chassis models, while yours is a Utility chassis model, everything is basically the same as a 4600 ag chassis model except for the front axle and steering, which are heavier duty on yours for holding up better under extensive loader use. The exact manuals for tthe Utility and Industrail models are generally much more expensive, so unless you have a need to repair the loader or front axle you won't need it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts