My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this tractor and I am trying to move the front wheels in. I have the tie-rod nut loosened, but cannot budge the bolt out. I have given it some good whacks with a small maul but no movement at all. Is there something else I need to do first?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Put the jack under the axle instead of the tie rod and lift that side off the floor.Bigger hammer and more wacks, don't be shy with the muscle.Also hit from the side instead of the rear, so the tire will swing out when it loosens.

·
3,329 Posts
Hi Dan ,,,welcome to the friendliest tractor forum...how about stopping over at our Introductions forum Introductions and tell us a little about yourself...
let us know how you make out with that tie rod end...

·
Registered
4,783 Posts
I would have said put the support as close as you can to the tie rod tapered fitting. The closer it is, the better the transfer of shock as it will be able to 'move out of the way' a bit less.
That said, hit it sharply, i.e., HARD on the rounded surface of the lever, where the tapered bolt of the tie rod fits. If you turn the wheel left, you would get better access to a different spot on the knuckle. I don't know that you need to support anything, given that you will be whacking in the horizontal direction for the most part.
I remember spending about 3-4 hours trying to get a tie rod to release. Finally went to look for suggestions. Saw the "Whack it HARD" instruction, went back, largish ball peen hammer in hand, and it released after the first hit. Could not believe how easy it was after trying clamps and pullers and pushers. I left the castellated nut loosely fitted so things didn't fall to the floor(instead of a jack and some 2X4's).
tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts