My Tractor Forum banner

Ford 4500 Question

823 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Crash5291
I recently bought a '75 model Ford 4500 backhoe. I thought one of the backhoe cylinders needed to be rebuilt, but it turns out one of the aluminum caps was all chewed up inside. I was wondering if there are any other hydraulic cylinders that would work to replace the cylinder that actuates the bucket? I'm trying to see if I can find more options for a used replacement. Any info would be much appreciated.
1 - 2 of 4 Posts
You may have luck finding one of the right size at they have close to 1000 different sizes listed
Measure the length retracted, extend and remeasure that will give you the stoke you need.

Measure the shaft diameter when extended

Measure the cylinder diameter on the main tube and look for one thats the next size smaller. Say it measures 4 7/8" its a guess yes but i'd say 4 1/2" leaving it with a 3/16" thick wall IF it measures 5" I'd still guess it at 4 1/2" with a 1/4" wall

Hope that makes sense.

Keep in mind the pressure your system will generate when selecting a cylinder. Sorry i have no idea what that is on yours. I'd guess it to be close to 2200-2500 psi most of the older ford stuff is but again a guess.

Whats the saying, Close only counts in horse shoes and hand grenades lol

See less See more
1 - 2 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.