My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The power steering on my 4400 is not working as it should be. I can turn the wheels all the way to the left, and the wheels turn back hard. If I turn the wheels all the way to the right, they turn back just fine. I have changed the fluid and the filter in the pump. I have also tried to bleed the lines by lifting the front of the tractor off the ground and turning the wheels back and forth from left to right and visa-versa 5 times. I have tried this a few times with no luck.
The wheels turn just fine with the front end off the ground.
Any suggestions on what I need to look for to correct this issue?

·
Premium Member
8,084 Posts
The power steering cylinder, which is under the nose of the tractor, has the control valve built in. It sounds like one of the o-rings in the control valve is leaking so that the pressure isn't being applied to the cylinder ram when you turn in the one direction but it is when you turn in the other direction.

Remove the steering cylinder and take it to a local hydraulics shop. I would have the whole thing rebuilt while you have it out, all of the o-rings and seals in the control valve as well as in the cylinder itself. If you just fix what's leaking now, then that fix may increase the pressure elsewhere and it may start leaking in other spots as a result.

·
Not a restorer
160 Posts
...Or you may have a purely mechanical problem.

If (and I don't know for sure that it is) the 4400 steering is similar to the 4500 steering, you may have a broken rod end on the cylinder (or, less likely, the pin it connects to may have broken or fallen out).

In the direction where the steering is "pushing" it pushes against the corner of the nose. When it's pulling it just pulls in and does not provide any power assist (if broken - if not broken, it pulls against the pin with the rod-end). Just like what you describe. With the wheels in the air the manual steering works fine if your gearbox is still good below the steering wheel.

There's a darn good reason I've been following the 4500 full hydraulic steering project. I need to repeat it. My rod-end is snapped off, later my gearbox at the steering wheel for manual function died, and the cost of replacements to make it under-built just the way it was is a lot more than redoing it full hydro (which later models were, so even Ford found the old system deficient, eventually.)

Take off the grill, hose things out so you can peer in a bit, use lights and mirrors if need be, keep your body parts out of the way so you don't crush any, and have someone operate the steering.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does your tractor have a pump like this , Mine wasn't making any pressure and I took it apart and put new seals inside it and it worked then.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showpost.php?p=2647649&postcount=28

I put a seal kit part # DHPN3A674A in the pump that was on my tractor which is a C7NN3A674D.

I got the seal kit from agkits . com for 25 bucks. I had a week delay because I ordered from a different place first and they sent me a -B instead of the -A that is required for this remote reservoir pump.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hey encerwal if you want paper templates of the mount plates I made for my steering cylinder send me a private message with your mailing address.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for the quick replies. I will do some checking this weekend. The pump I have is not the same as the one in the pic. One other thing that I forgot to mention was that when I changed the oil on the pump, the fluid seemed pretty red, almost like a power steering fluid.
I asked at a New Holland dealer what fluid to put in, and I was told tractor/tranny premium hydraulic fluid. I was having the issues before I changed the fluid though. I did read a post from the past that someone had stated that if you use power steering fluid, you should plan on changing seals. ????

·
Premium Member
8,084 Posts
If it's got power assist in one direction and not the other, then the pump is making pressure, and it's got to be something in the control valve or cylinder that's causing it not to work in the other direction.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I agree. Did not get a chance to work on it this weekend. To many other things to catch up on being we did not get an abundance of nice weather this spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts