My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find the correct top link for my Gannon. What I have I don't believe is correct. The top pin is a 1inch bolt. I bought a top link bolt and it fits perfect but the link hole is smaller then the pin size I bought but fits the one inch bolt sorta.

Would anyone be able to direct me to the correct top pin and link for this tractor. see photos.

Thank you

toplink1.jpg toplink3.jpg toplink4.jpg toplink2.jpg

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
CAT 1 is not 1" You have the right to link. Someone musta cobbled that mess together. Weld a correct size bushing on both sides and make it right You can buy reducer bushings at the farm store Fix it like you would an egged out drawbar.

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
The 3 cylinder 4000 series , including your 4400, had the capability of using either Cat I or Cat II implements so the hole in the rocker that the top link gets pinned to is large enough for a Cat II top link, so a proper Cat I toplink pin will fit loose in the hole, but that is the way they were from the factory. They actually came with a special pin that looks like it is too small on one end and might fall through the hole, but it won't go through the hole in the Cat I top link itself so it never falls all of the way through the hole in the rocker. You should definitely replace that bolt and nut with a proper Cat I top link pin.

The proper pin part number was originally C5NNF847A, but that part number has been superseded by part number 81816506. The part number for the original Cat I toplink is C5NN576B. The Cat II toplink part number is C5NN576B. The pin should be available from any New Holland dealer under the later part number, and a Cat I toplink is a Cat I toplink so you shouldn't need to purchase the original part number for that. They do make them in different lengths, and most are adjustable for some range of length, so if you buy a new one make sure that it's range includes the length that you need.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like Ii have a cat 1 top link in the rocker since it is loose in the hole. I have the 1 inch pins I received from Steiner which took about a month to get and it fits in the top link rocker but the top link didn't fit as the hole was too small. So that confirms then this is a cat 1 top link and not cat 2 as I thought it was as I thought the gannon being a heavy duty one was a cat 2 implement. If this gannon is a cat 2 implement maybe it would be better to just get a cat 2 top link so that it matches and then i can use the cat 1 top link for lighter cat 1 implement like a landscape rake. I can look around for the proper cat 1 pin and reducer. Am I looking at this correctly? thank you

·
Premium Member
7,751 Posts
If the top link is loose at both ends then it probably is a Cat 2 Gannon box with a Cat 1 top link. If it is snug at the Gannon box end and only loose at the tractor end, then it is a Cat 1 Gannon box and you'll have to live with the one loose end. I have a Cat 1 Woods rotary mower on my '73 4000 and it the top link pin is loose at the tractor end and it works fine, and the pin looks like it is the one that came with the tractor and it is not worn at all from the looseness. The only way I can think of to make it snug would be to use 2 bushings, one in the hole on each side of the rocker, and they would probably have a tendency to either be a little loose themselves to where they woudl fall out every time you pull the pin, or they would have to be so snug that they would rust in place over time to where switching to a Cat 2 implement would be a pain in the a%$.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went and checked the Gannon and it looks like it is a smaller diameter hole like a cat 1. see photo. Also the right side of the link looks make shift to me. Maybe I should get this all fixed correctly and put a proper cat 1 pin in place.
gannon pin.jpg

The top link is pretty rusty and not able to turn it for adjusting. Maybe I should also get a new on of these as well. I found a top link that has cat 1 at one end and cat 2 at he other end. wonder how reliably it is. here is a link to it.

top link.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts