My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening all,
I ran into a problem with my Ford tractor the other night out in the field and I was wondering if anyone has run into this before? I shut the machine down and there was a soft sizzling and a large cloud of electrical white smoke that drifted off. The machine would not start after that, I ran some tests- engine would crank but no spark. I quick ran a jumper wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil with an on-off switch in between. It started right up no problem. Keep in mind it was 38 degrees, raining and pitch dark. I finished what I was doing and parked the machine. The next day my son called me at work to borrow the tractor, I explained to him what happened, how to use the switch and to be sure to shut the switch off when done.
He didn't, he shut down the fuel and let the carb run dry, buy never shut the power to the coil. When I got home I could smell it , the coil was smoking. I let it cool down and tried to start it, it cranked but would not start. I'm pretty sure the key switch (or a line on it) was the first thing to fry, and I know the coil is cooked, is there anything else I should check or replace? I might as well do a complete tune up while I'm in there, does anyone know the NAPA part numbers for the tune up and coil?
It is a 1964, 4 cylinder gas, 172 cu in engine, thanks

·
Registered
34 Posts
You can get the exact fit parts at Yesterday's Tractor cheaper than NAPA. Also check the external coil resistor, probably fried with coil, points and condenser, and the small copper insert in the distributor connecting the coil to the points. I replaced mine from coil to points with 10 ga wire with eyelet on both ends. install eyelet at coil as last thing, Works great. If you have an external voltage regulator, it may be fried also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts