My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1979 ford 545 TLB,with a 3cyl 201ci Gas motor. I just went thru rebuilding the engine and doing extensive repairs on the machine. I am a Mechanic by trade with about 30yrs under my belt, though this is the 1st tractor I have been involved in.....Ok about the Tractor now, I live in NY and she was a victim of Sandy's wrath here on the east coast, so I picked her up for little more the price of scrap metal . Engine needed to be rebuilt and all hydraulics needed to be flushed, no prob (I thought) I split the machine ,disassembled the motor ,sent the block , the head and the Crank to the machine shop, pistons went .040 over ,block was bored ,head needed a valve job and the crank just needed a polishing. The parts were all ordered thru the machine shop (nothing OEM) ,so I get back the parts and assemble the motor ....everything seems to go together fine.I would also like to add I am a firm believer in using a Factory repair manual to do any job. So now I fight the machine back together (anybody who has reassembled a ford that you need to have the Torque converter bolted to the flywheel before mating the engine to the tranny will know what I mean) I finish the job and now its time for the moment of truth............. she fires up on maybe the 2nd revolution and sounds like........." Victory", yeah a little tapping from the rockers ,but with solid lifters thats to be expected. I run her in the shop going thru a few heating and cooling cycles and start to hear a dunk ,dunk ,dunk ,dunk at idle , I figure its just those *** large solid lifters as I still hadn't readjusted the valves. Well I ran out of time and now the trucking company comes to pick up the machine and bring it to Upstate Ny to my property there (the reason I bought it in the 1st place) All goes well ,the machine gets there ,I meet them and get in the machine to bring it to my property ,she fires right up ,I warm her up and back it off the trailer and head up my dirt road with a slight incline.Being as one of the truckers needs to follow me with my truck I choose 3rd gear so I can travel a little faster then a crawl (the machine has the 4 speed with hydraulic fwd and reverse) I start out and with in 30 seconds the tractor starts to loose power ,so I stop shift 2nd and try again now it starts to make a knocking noise (not a pinging) and still goes nowhere , so now I am afraid I will be stuck in the middle of a 1 lane road with my machine and I stop again shift into 1st and try again , the knocking noise quiets down some and I am able to crawl to my property. Now I am SO disgusted I just go to sleep as it is about 11:00 dark and freaking cold. I gather my wits the next day and decide to dive in and she what happened , I remove the valve cover and find antifreeze in the top of the head , I remove the head , see nothing wrong with the Gasket ,but notice some scuffing on Number 1 and 3 cyl walls ,now I'm ****** ,I remove the front section ,so I can drop the oil pan and remove the Pistons . I find the #3 piston badly scuffed on the side of the intake and spark plug ,below the oil ring with some bluing traveling towards the wrist pin , the opposite side of the piston had some scuffing but not as bad. #1 piston has similar damage but not as severe , number 2 had no damage and none of the pistons had any damage to the crown or above the rings.I could not determine where the antifreeze entered the crankcase , it looked like about a quart of coolant in the oil , the head is out to be pressure tested , but I dont think thats where it came from . It is obvious that the piston skirt overheated ,but I do not know why , I do not think the engine was overheating , but I had not recieved my new instrument cluster yet so I had no temp gauge , but the idoit light did work and it never came on , nor did any steam come out of exhaust pipe. I will say the crank and bearings were perfect , so no oiling damage . Please help before I choke somebody at the machine shop , I have rebuilt many different motors: cars ,boats ,motorcycles ,lawnmowers ,large diesel motors and never had anything like this happen before , I do not know if it the aftermarket pistons or if the machine shop screwed up ,if anybody has had this problem or has heard of something like this please help . I do not want this to happen again. Thanks Al

·
Premium Member
8,085 Posts
Those engines are notorious for cavitation pinholes in the cylinder walls which will leak coolant into the crankcase. I've never had to rebuild one, but From what I understand, you should always sleeve the engine (or re-sleeve) when you have to bore the cylinders out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts