My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I noticed that occasionally my battery light would not go off when I run the tractor. It is becoming more frequent. The belt is on the alternator. Engine revd up higher than 10k rom. Is this a sign of the alternator going bad or perhaps another part is involved in the charging circuit? I think it is DC coming out of the alternator going straight to the battery.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point! Since I put on a segmented belt a few months ago it was running fine, but perhaps it stretched enough now to cause this flakiness. I will move the alternator out a bit and see.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The problem has gone away...for now... without me doing anything. Will see if it returns. Odd.

·
2,845 Posts
I would still take a look at that belt..it could be that cold weather has just shrunk it a bit....although I am more inclined to think you have a loose connection, or a wire rubbed bare that is causing the problem when it makes contact with the chassis somewhere..you aren't really revving that up to 10k rpm are you? 😁

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, 1K, not 10K. The light is still stays on a bit, i.e. barely illuminated, at around 1000, sometimes up to 1200 rpm. I will tighten the belt a bit next weekend and see if that makes a difference. Which bare cable is of concern? I have a few on my tractor 🤪

·
Premium Member
7,471 Posts
Is this a sign of the alternator going bad or perhaps another part is involved in the charging circuit?
The original charging circuit on your tractor used a Motorola alternator that used an external voltage regulator, so if it has that original setup the VR could also be a problem. If you followed the wire from the alternator and it's going directly to the battery then the original alternatior has most likely been replaced with a newer one that has an internal VR.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, quick update, I pulled out the alternator a bit farther to tighten the belt and it helped. It didn't feel loose before and the fan was spinning well so I thought it was ok, but apparently a little flex makes a big difference with the alternator.

The bare wire is from the batter to the starter in the bare part is not touching anything so for now I think I am ok on that.

·
Premium Member
2,917 Posts
Yeah, I had a car that would slowly die when driving at night because the alternator belt wasn't quite tight enough. Visually it looked fine, and the belt didn't make any slipping noises, but it just didn't spin enough to provide enough power for everything including the headlights. During the day, perfectly fine...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts