My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tractor was given to me with some other attachments, mower , post auger , and blade. Found it to be locked up due to water intrusion down exhaust. Drained what oil and water mix out of pan. Pulled head of and found water / rust in cylinders. I’m needing help on breaking the serial number info down. Can anyone help with that ? Some pics for the viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
2,804 Posts
Hello and welcome to MTF...this is the forum for introductions....I will ask one of the Admins to move it to the Ford forum, where you are more likely to get a response

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome to MTF...this is the forum for introductions....I will ask one of the Admins to move it to the Ford forum, where you are more likely to get a response
Sorry, must be my newbie mistake. Thx

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MTF.

B079090 is the serial number, which only helps with where and when it was made. The B at the beginning says that it was assembled at the Ford tractor plant in Basildon in the UK. The serial numbers for the European (Basildon & Antwerp) made tractors are not well documented, but I can tell you that 097090 is a fairly early one that was built to be exported outside the UK (Basildon serial number had a separate range for the ones that were meant to be sold domestically, and that range started aat B800001).

7K11 is the Unit Number, which is a date code for when it was assembled and it says that it was assembled on October 11 1967.

Farther up into the rough part of the casting I can see the model number, which looks like 31013C, which would be a 3000 series general purpose ag chassis model with a diesel engine, live 540 rpm PTO and an 8 speed transmission (4 forward and 1 reverse on the main shifter with high and low ranges on the second shorter shifter for a total of 8 forward and 2 reverse speeds). For engine rebuild purposes it should be a 3 cylinder 175 cubic inch (4.2" bore x 4.2" stroke) diesel engine and it should have a Simms in-line injection pump. They switched back and forth between the Simms and the CAV rotary pump a few times during the production run, but all of the reference documentation says that they used the Simms from December of 1966 through August of 1969 so yours is near the middle of that range.

·
2,804 Posts
Sorry, must be my newbie mistake. Thx

It's not a problem, but I noticed that you were not getting any response...looks like you got a quick and really comprehensive response now that it is in a forum where it will be seen ..good luck with the tractor...let us know how you make out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, and welcome to MTF.

B079090 is the serial number, which only helps with where and when it was made. The B at the beginning says that it was assembled at the Ford tractor plant in Basildon in the UK. The serial numbers for the European (Basildon & Antwerp) made tractors are not well documented, but I can tell you that 097090 is a fairly early one that was built to be exported outside the UK (Basildon serial number had a separate range for the ones that were meant to be sold domestically, and that range started aat B800001).

7K11 is the Unit Number, which is a date code for when it was assembled and it says that it was assembled on October 11 1967.

Farther up into the rough part of the casting I can see the model number, which looks like 31013C, which would be a 3000 series general purpose ag chassis model with a diesel engine, live 540 rpm PTO and an 8 speed transmission (4 forward and 1 reverse on the main shifter with high and low ranges on the second shorter shifter for a total of 8 forward and 2 reverse speeds). For engine rebuild purposes it should be a 3 cylinder 175 cubic inch (4.2" bore x 4.2" stroke) diesel engine and it should have a Simms in-line injection pump. They switched back and forth between the Simms and the CAV rotary pump a few times during the production run, but all of the reference documentation says that they used the Simms from December of 1966 through August of 1969 so yours is near the middle of that range.
Thank you..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Long story , but try to make it short. Neighbor was moving and couldn’t get it started. We’ve talked and watch each other’s place when either of us on vacation. Ended up giving me the tractor and attachments. I’ve drained the oil and started tear down and the fun stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
Looks like it'll need to be bored out at least some. If it's currently got original pistons you might get away with .030 or .040 oversize bore and corresponding replacement pistons, I can't tell for sure from your pictures. If that scoring is deeper than that it will need to be bored for sleeves.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looks like it'll need to be bored out at least some. If it's currently got original pistons you might get away with .030 or .040 oversize bore and corresponding replacement pistons, I can't tell for sure from your pictures. If that scoring is deeper than that it will need to be bored for sleeves.
In process of trying to get it freed up. More likely gonna break it apart and work it.

I look at it this way. Free tractor and anything I put into it if I decide to sell it. I should be able to recoup it , but have 18 acres w some cows and it would be used around here.

·
Premium Member
7,467 Posts
If it just needs an engine rebuild then you're still ahead. It shouldn't cost as much as the tractor will be worth once it's running properly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts