My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Working on a '74 3000. Diesel. I drained and flushed the cooling system. Everything seems to be working/ flowing correctly. I am operating without a thermostat. New one haven't arrived yet.

When I go to half or full throttle the bottom radiator compresses. Like the water pump is pulling harder than the radiator can flow. This is an old hose and I have a new one one the way. Has anyone ever seen this happen? Any other causes besides worn out hose?

Thanks
Wiltz

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
I've heard of that happening before. The suction hoses are sometimes reinforced with an internal (loose) spring that prevents the hose from collapsing. If that spring is omitted during assembly, the bottom hose is free to collapse. This is usually a problem with new hoses. On older hoses they may be more compliant, but usually the suction on the hose has embedded the spring into the hose walls. If the spring fell out when you were flushing the system, it might be the problem.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks loremaster. my guess is the spring was lost a LONG time ago. I just got the tractor. the thermostat was also missing so who ever did that probably lost the spring as well. ill see how rigid the new hose is and then make up or try to find a spring.

** and just for clarity, on the first post i said "the bottom radiator compresses" i meant the bottom radiator HOSE compresses. **

thanks

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts