My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hooked up to my auger yesterday to go drill some fence post holes. This was the first time I have used the auger on this tractor. I can raise the auger up with no problem, however as I lower slowly, when it gets about half way down it goes crazy, starts jumping and bouncing. I can drop it quickly with no problem, it just affects my accuracy. It does this with the pto on or off. I have no problems with my other implements; mowers, box blade, scraping blade etc etc. Any suggestions?
:thanku:

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Make sure the sliding parts of the pto shaft are well greased.
That could a part of the jumping and bouncing.
Dave

·
1981 Ford 1100 4WD
876 Posts
It also sounds like a possible U-joint binding

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried it with the pto shaft off, it still does it. Its almost like its overly sensitive and over compensating. At the halfway point its switching from pushing weight up to holding weight if that makes any sense at all. It will do it when I lower the auger or raising the auger, soon as I hit the the halfway point it gets violent.
I have the stabilizing sway bars on, maybe I need to take them off, maybe it binds at that point.
I haven't tried switching to the upper link of the 3pt hitch. I have two options at the upper link, one hole is about 2 inches higher then the other.
I have horse boarders out there now, so I will wait and try it later before I go putting on a auger dance show.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Since the auger is a lighter weight implement than your mowers, blades, etc. I think your valve may be sticky. What is the condition of the oil? I see by your signature you just bought this tractor, have you given it a good service and fluid change?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
he might have also found a spot in the hyd cyl that is pitted and leaks more.. since it leaks more, there will be circuit regeneration after lakdown.. thus the bobbing or hunting.

this assumes good clean CORRECT weight oil in the system, and not gear lube like some mis guided shade tree wanna-be's put in there.

soundguy

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, could the hitch be set in draft position, ie for ploughing, this would cause bouncing when the toplink was pulled or pushed, hope this helps.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I switched to the upper link and it has been ok. I use the upper link on all my implements. I tried the bottom link because the auger connection was to short and I would gain a couple of inches by switching to the bottom hole. I ended up having the connecting part that ties into the lift arms extended. I had a local welding shop add on 6 inches. I didn't think the lower link would be so sensitive. Now when I lower it, once it reaches the halfway point, it just drops the rest of the way.
I like for the auger to hang about a foot or so off the ground when I am driving around. On other tractors I used it would hang around 6 inches and constantly hit the ground when there was a slight change in ground level, causing the auger to drag and then swing around once it cleared the ground again. I suppose if I reset it down to 6 inches of clearance I would have position control all the way down to the ground, it would just drag every now and then. It is just a normal 3 ft long auger.
All my other implements will raise and lower and stop at wherever I desire.
I was really surprised how long it holds in place. The last time I used the bushhog I parked it with the bushhog elevated a few inches on accident. Three days later it was still just hanging there (I went ahead and released it).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts