My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a gas Ford 2000 tractor with a problem that is driving us nuts. After about 15 minutes of running with an implement (doesn't seem to matter if it is the brush hog or pulling a disc), the engine starts to sputter and surge and then dies. If you choke it, the engine will restart and run ok for a minute or two and then start the whole surge, sputter, stop process all over again. The engine was recently rebuilt (problem existed before the rebuild and now after). the carb has been rebuilt, we have checked the little glass fuel filter and the fuel pump was replaced about ten years ago.

Any ideas? I am wondering about the gas tank and thinking about replacing the fuel pump. Has anyone seen this problem before? Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have been looking through the older posts on this forum and found one that sounds identical to my problem. The suggestions included coil, clogged vent in gas cap, and clogged filter in gas tank. We will check them out and let you know what we find.

·
Premium Member
8,097 Posts
Since it's got a fuel pump, I assume that it;s the later 3 cylinder incarnation of the 2000 rather than the earlier 4 cylinder variety.

Looks like you found some good advice in your search. Easiest way to test the gas cap is to wait for the problem to start and siply pull the cap and see if it starts running good again.

If it's not the gas cap, my next guess would be the coil is failing once it gets up to temperature. To test that, once it has been running long enough for the problem to manifest itself, then pull a plug wire and hold it close to a good ground while you crank the engine. f ti doesn't produce a good blue-white spark that jumps at least a 1/4 inch gap to ground, then it's most likely the coil, but it might be the condensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think maybe we found the problem. It is inside the gas tank. The coil is relatively new so we ruled that out. The gas gap is vented so we ruled that out. Looks like there are problems inside the tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had similar symptoms on an old machine I did extensive work on, check this out. The metal fuel line was running near the exhaust manifold, as the engine heated up the fuel would heat in the metal fuel line so the carb started getting vapor instead of liquid gas. I installed a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and the gas line and never had the prob again! Good Luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts