My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 71 Ford 2000 3 cyl gas. I ended up getting it for not much money out of pocket sight unseen. It's going to need some TLC to get it up to par. My main worry is it has a misfire. Seems like it's not firing on all cylinders. When I went to look at it it seemed fine, and when I loaded it, it seemed to run okay, but of course when I got home it ran like crap. Elevation is almost the same as home so it shouldn't be carb but who knows? Ran into some rain on the way, but everything was dry by the time I got home. Where shall I start? I hope it's not oil fouled plugs, but I'll have to find out. I really didn't want to do a engine rebuild! I'm sure there's dozens of other things it could be like a loose wire, or?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went through it this morning. THe plugs aren't oil fouled, so that's good. I adjusted the carb a bit and the timing. I then made sure the spark plug wires were into the distributor good. They were kinda not all the way clipped. I then started it warmed it up hooked it up to my 5 foot brush hog and mowed a couple acres. Seems fine now. No overheating issues or vapor locking or anything so that's good too. I did notice the little wire that goes into the points from the coil is in horrid shape all cracked and peeled. I'll replace that and the terminal to the coil from the battery is one you push on and is kind of loose too. I'll replace that with a regular eyelet terminal with a nut. I think it might be okay. I think it also might've had some bad gas in the carb. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Hi it could have been a combination, of small things like a bit wet from the rain you went thur, maybe bad gas or a bit of dirt got riled up from the trip, and maybe the cracked wire you found, but it sounds like you got it going good now, have fun with your new to you tractor should be a good one.
GB in MN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts