My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Ford 2000, 3 Cyl, 12V gas tractor (See Avatar Picture) that I have had about 1 year. Havent used much but this summer it has been giving me fits. It will start right up in the morning and per like a cat. I can run for 20-30 minutes then it sputters and dies. I can pull the choke out and it will immediately restart then push choke in. It may idle great for a while and as soon as I put a load on the engine (like moving) it will sputter and die. Again it will restart with no problem. I have to let it sit for an hour befor I can get it to run for any amount of time. I have changed plugs, points, condenser, and rotor. I am pretty sure it is not an electrical problem. The gas filters are not going dry on me when it dies. If I take the thing out of gear and reduce the throttle, I may be able to keep it running until I put it back in gear and start to move. Then is sputters and dies again. I am not a gearhead but I think it might have something to do with the carb baffel or something like that. Any ideas?

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Yeah, from your discription it does sound like fuel starvation. Is the tank vented?
1. Try running it with the filler cap loose.
2.If the above fails to improve the operation try cracking the fuel line where it enters the carburetor and make sure you have a constant full stream of gas flowing. You might want to set something to catch the fuel. Best luck.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Just to be sure it is not ignition, pull a plug wire and make sure the spark is blue and snappy not yellow and sluggish. A bad coil can act just like that, even a bad ignition switch. Anyway just to eliminate the ignition.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran the tractor tonight befor dark and I loosened the gas cap. It ran for at least an hour or more with no problems. Im shocked!!! Will check in the morning and see what color the spark is.

·
Registered
29 Posts
For another suggestion, check the needle valve in the carb bowl for dirt. My last tractor would start acting starved for fuel and this would always solve the problem when I would clean out the fuel needle valve by using a little air pressure (after removing the needle valve). No matter what, there would always be a little dirt in there whenever I had the problem!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts